Friday, June 3, 2016

Bayshore Marathon Weekend Recap

In the week leading up to race day, I tried hard to not stalk the weather like I usually do.  The weather is out of my control and will be what it will be.  Still....watching the weather change from high percentage of storms--undesirable-- to warm temps with high humidity--also undesirable--was a little stressful.

I packed several clothing options ranging from capris and long sleeves to shorts and a tank and decided to make an outfit decision Friday night.

The trip to Traverse City would be a 6.5 hour drive from Columbus and since Sarah, Megan and I were well-hydrated, we anticipated many stops making our drive a little bit longer.  We left Columbus at 7am on Friday and headed north.  I don't even remember what time we actually arrived with all the potty breaks and construction traffic.  We rented a house for the weekend.  This worked out so much better than having a hotel room.  We had space to roam, stretch our legs and we weren't stuck on two double beds in a studio hotel room all weekend.

Our home away from home.
Packet pick up started at 5pm so after we settled all of our stuff in the house we headed out to get our bibs.  Bayshore is a small event, only about 7000 participants running the marathon, half marathon and 10K, so you can imagine that packet pick up is a small event as well.  There were a few vendors, but certainly nothing like the huge expo at the convention center for the Columbus Marathon every year.  It was nice to get in and out.  Bigger is not always better, y'all.


After we got our bibs, we went to dinner at Poppycocks; the food was delicious.  There was a wide variety of options on the menu.  All three of us got different pastas and all of it disappeared.

When we got back to the house, we all picked out our race outfits and went to bed early-ish.

Temps were going to be in the mid-60s at the start and it was going to get hotter by the minute so I went with shorts rather than capris.  I wanted to minimize the sunburn so I opted for short sleeves instead of a tank to spare my shoulders.

Peek-A-Boo Skirt and Circuit Tee
I slept on Friday night.  Like, all night.  Maybe it was a fluke.  Or maybe it was because the bed was so comfortable.  Or maybe I'm getting better at the mental game of the marathon.

Megan and  Sarah were both up before me on Saturday and I heard them, but didn't actually wake up until my alarm went off at 4:45am.  We'd planned to leave the house at 5:30am and I left exactly enough time to get myself ready.  No extra time to second guess my outfit or my race plan.


Speaking of my race plan....it hasn't been a secret that I'm chasing down a 4:20 finish this year.  If it doesn't happen at Bayshore, that's cool, I'll keep trying, I will chip away my time until I get there, then I'll chase after another time.  I knew when we started, the temps were going to climb quickly so 4:20 might not happen.  Plan B was sub 4:33, my current PR.  Plan C is always survival.

My plan for this particular day: start off at 10 min pace then pick up the pace a little in the second half.  I had my music turned up a little louder than I normally listen to it.  I thought if it were louder than the voices in my head, that would be helpful.  Ah, the mind games we play....

At mile 12, my average pace was 9:59.  Then the wheels started to fall off.  At mile 12.5, I thought I might need to pull over to vomit.  I think I gulped a little too much Gatorade at the previous water station.  Rookie.  I walked a little, started to feel a little better and went on my way.

Miles 13 and 14 (10:42, 10:52) were a little rough then I got myself back together for 15-18 (10:04, 10:30, 10:31, 9:54).  I knew at mile 13 that it was too hot to speed up so 4:20 finish would have to wait for another day and by mile 23, Plan B went out the window as well.

Mile 19 was rough.  It was the slowest mile at 12:36.  The sun was out, it was hot, I couldn't get enough water.  I refilled the water bottles in my belt at every water station and was drinking Gatorade and water constantly.  And I could see Grand Traverse Bay.  It looked nice and cool.  I wanted to lay in it.  Face down.  Then I wouldn't have to finish this damn marathon.  Why do I do this, anyway?  Idiot.

Miles 20-25: 10:34, 11:52, 11:21, 11:27, 11:07, 10:36.  I was struggling, but by the looks of a lot of people around me, my struggles weren't as bad as some others.

Mile 25 was at the top of a hill.  Of course it was.  It was also a residential area and there were a lot of spectators out.  That was helpful.  Keep going, Jamie.  One foot in front of the other.

Mile 26, 10:35, I could hear the finish line...then I could SEE it!

The last .29 was an 8 minute pace.  Get. This. Shit. Done.

We finished on a high school track.  There were people in the bleachers cheering and a man (the race director?) with a microphone announcing all of the finisher's names.

I crossed the finish line 4:34:42, just a minute slower than my PR time, was handed a medal, it's heavy.  I like it.  Then a medic grabbed me by the shoulders, got down in my face and asked if I was ok.  I was fine.  Hot, thirsty, tired, a little delirious, but fine.

A volunteer handed me a bottle of water.  I sucked that water down and got another bottle.  I hung out in the finish area, drinking water, until Megan and Sarah crossed the finish line.

We all need showers but first, let me take a selfie.
Once we were all accounted for, we hobbled off to find the car.

The next 30 or so hours were filled with grunting, wincing, gingerly walking and a whole lot of laughing.  I'm sure y'all won't find out shenanigans near as hysterical as we did so I'll spare you most of it.


We ordered pizza Saturday night.  When the pizza delivery guy arrived, Megan and I hobbled to the door to greet him.  We were so tired, we considered asking him to come on in and feed us.

Sunday morning, I was awake, laying in bed and I heard Sarah yelling from the other bedroom, "Someone call the fire department!"  Megan and I rushed (I use this word loosely) in to see what was wrong and Sarah said, "I need to get off this top bunk!"

And we started our day in a fit of giggles.

We all had leftover pizza for breakfast and it was decided that the pizza had to come in the car with us so we could eat it on the way home.

I got to share the backseat with the pizza.
 ...and we laughed all the way back to Columbus.

This weekend could have been a huge disappointment.

It wasn't.

I had a ridiculous amount of fun with my people, the course was gorgeous and, with the exception of miles 19-25 being too hot to keep my goal pace, I had a great run.

The muscle soreness has worn off but I won't be running for a bit.  With every marathon, I promise my legs 10 days of no running.  Usually days 1-3 I swear I'm never running again, but by day 5, I'm ready and when day 10 rolls around, I can't wait to get out there.  My 10 days of rest not only allows my body time to heal, it keeps the love alive.  I'm looking forward to Tuesday.


Have you ever run any of the Bayshore events?
If you travel for races, do you go with friends?  Or would you prefer to have your family with you?  I'd love to have my kids at races, but they don't sleep well in hotels.  It's best for all of us if they stay home.