Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Sneaky, Sneaky

I have a race in four days!  This one sneaked up on me.  With Disney and all of the fun times I've had running in the dark with friends, it's suddenly April and race week!

So of course, I'm all, "What am I going to wear?!"

Because that is what's most important about a race, right?

I haven't officially decided what I'll wear.  I'm still stalking the forecast.  (Like a crazy ex-girlfriend.)  So far, it looks like we'll have perfect weather!


This is my first race of 2014, and if you'll recall, this was the race that I had to miss last year when I tore a calf muscle.

The ORRRC (Ohio River Road Runners Club) Marathon and Half Marathon is a small (although every year it gets a little bigger) race in Xenia, Ohio....which is a little over an hour from Columbus.  It's inexpensive and well-run.  The race starts and finishes at the Xenia YMCA.  Awesome volunteers make and serve yummy post-race food and the Y is kind enough to let the runners use the showers before we all head home.

The only drawback....if you were to consider this a drawback....is that the streets are not lined with spectators.  There's a crowd near the start/finish line and there are volunteers at water stops and police officers at intersections.  That's about it.  If you need a crowd to keep you going, this is not the race for you.

Two years ago, I ran this half marathon alone, for the most part.  I had my music in my ears and I just ran.  I don't mind the solitude.

This year, I get to run with friends!  My fellow predawn hill repeater, Marcie, wants to run with me on Sunday.  We keep changing our minds about what pace we want to keep, but one thing we're sure of, we'll work hard and have a great time doing it.

That's Marcie up front in the blue.
I mean, really, how could we NOT have fun?

Do you have any big plans this weekend?
When is your next race?