Monday, March 10, 2014

BFFs and 13.1


A few months ago, my BFF (best friend forever -- title from elementary school), Carrie, started talking about possibly wanting to run her very first half marathon this year.

Of course, I took this idea and ran with it.

Carrie lives in Madison, Wisconsin.  I live in Columbus, Ohio.  Finding races somewhere in between us (Indiana) on weekends that we were available was proving to be difficult.

Last week, she said to me, "If you can come to Madison for the half marathon in August, I'll register right now."

Done.

Well, there was a little more to it than that, but the end result was both of us registering.

On August 16, my BFF is going to run her first half marathon and I get to run it with her!  Squeeeeee!

**************

Carrie and I met in second grade, but we weren't "best friends" until fourth grade.  We lived a few blocks away from each other and were pretty much inseparable in 4th and 5th grade.

In the spring of fifth grade, I moved away...but it didn't seem to matter how many miles were between us or how many months went by between phone calls, when we got together, it was like no time had passed at all.

Please don't mind the quality of the following pictures.  Most were taken in the dark ages before digital cameras were available.

I think this was the summer of '91.  Yes, those are fanny packs.  Don't judge.
Summer of '92
Summer '01 (alcohol may have been involved here)
Fall '01
Summer 2011
Carrie and I haven't lived in the same time zone in 25 years, yet, she was my maid of honor in my wedding and I was hers.

2003

I'm so super duper excited about our next adventure together.

Expect selfies.  Lots of selfies.


Do you still have a BFF from childhood?