Monday, March 24, 2014

A Week of Magic part 2

If you missed it, read Part 1.

On Monday morning, we set our alarms for 6:15 still hoping to catch the 8am bus.  Didn't happen.  We caught the 8:20am bus instead.

Monday was Animal Kingdom day!  The last time I was in Disney World, 19 years ago, Animal Kingdom was being built, so I'd never seen the park before.  I was super excited to check out the animals....which we did first thing....right after I got Fast Passes for DINOSAUR, Expedition Everest and Primeval Whirl.


The Kilimanjaro Safari line moved pretty quickly and soon we were on an open bus on our way through an African savanna.  In our bus, there was a list of animals that we might see on our safari.  Aleena called it a "menu".  We all got a good giggle when she told us that giraffes were on the menu.

The "menu"
It was really neat to see the hippos, giraffes and zebras since we don't have them at our local zoo yet.  Giraffes and zebras are coming in May.  I'm not sure if our new Africa exhibit will have hippos.


After our safari, it was time to head to DINOSAUR, a roller coaster-type ride.  The height requirement is 40 inches, so Aleena was allowed to ride this one.  The ride is dark and loud at times and I warned Aleena about it.  She loves dinosaurs, so she was all excited for this ride.

Outside of DINOSAUR.
It turns out that this ride was a little too realistic for my sweet Aleena.  T-rex was really big and really loud and really hungry.  Meteors were exploding all around us.

When the ride ended, I asked Aleena if she enjoyed it.

She furrowed her eyebrows and said, "No."

Fail number two so far.

After DINOSAUR, we left Animal Kingdom and headed to Downtown Disney and the T-Rex restaurant for lunch.  T-Rex is similar to the Rainforest Cafe, only with dinosaurs instead of rainforest animals.


T-Rex was awesome. The atmosphere was fun with dinosaurs roaring and lightning flashing and meteor showers in the sky (ceiling).  The food was pricy but delicious.  We all split an appetizer platter and my mom and I split the Omnivore entree salad with chicken added to it.  It cost $18.  For a salad?!  Ouch.  This salad was HUGE!  My mom and I couldn't even finish our halves.  Don't worry, my dad and Randy polished it off so it didn't go to waste.

Of course, T-Rex has a gift shop and it's a dinosaur haven.  Complete with a Build-a-Dinosaur (like Build-a-Bear but with dinosaurs) section.  Both of my girls used the money that Grandma (my mother-in-law) gave them to build a dinosaur.

After lunch, we went back to Animal Kingdom.  Primeval Whirl was next on our Fast Pass list.  Primeval has a 48 inch height requirement, so Aleena and I went on the TriceraTop Spin while everyone else went to the bigger roller coaster.  I'm a little bummed that I didn't get to ride it.  It looked really fun.

Next, we checked the wait times for Expedition Everest and saw that the line was short.  My parents, Randy and Ellie rushed over to Everest while Aleena and I rode TriceraTop one more time, then played a few carnival games before heading over to Everest to meet the rest of our family.

TriceraTop Spin
Expedition Everest is a big roller coaster with a 48 inch height requirement so Aleena can't ride.  When we booked our Fast Passes, we included Aleena's ticket even though she can't ride the big stuff.  A couple of us adults would take Ellie on the big ride, when the first group got back, the rest of the adults would take Ellie again using Aleena's pass.

Everest was probably my favorite roller coaster that we rode all week, but this is where the Yetti comes in.  I don't want to ruin the surprise of the ride so I won't tell you much about it except that it's about a Yetti encounter on the mountain.  Ellie has had bad dreams about Yettis a couple of times since we've been home but she loved the ride.

That's Ellie in the back of the car with her hands up.  That kid is a roller coaster junkie.
By this time, we were all pretty tired so we decided to head back to the hotel to relax.

I'm sad that we didn't have time to see  It's Tough to be a Bug or to see the Nemo Musical.  We'd need much longer than a week to do everything there is to do in Disney World.  Because of this, we decided to scrap our Sea World plans for Tuesday, add another day to our Disney park passes and head back to Magic Kingdom on Tuesday.

*******************

By the time Tuesday rolled around, none of us had any delusions about making the 8am bus.  We took our time waking up, eating breakfast and heading to the Magic Kingdom.  When we arrived, I got Fast Passes for Peter Pan's Flight, Space Mountain (since Ellie wanted to ride again) and The Barnstormer and we headed to Adventureland to ride The Magic Carpets of Aladdin.

My parents and Aleena are on the carpet behind Randy, Ellie and I.
The Magic Carpets is a ride similar to Dumbo and TriceraTop Spin.  Aleena loves this type of ride.  she knows exactly what to expect and there are no sudden drops.  She isn't a fan of that tickle in her belly.

We started making our way to Peter Pan, which was a fun, slow-moving ride that everyone enjoyed.

We took turns using the Fast Passes on Space Mountain and Ellie got to go twice since Aleena isn't tall enough to ride.  I rode the first wave with Ellie, then took Aleena to Dumbo while the second wave of our family rode Space Mountain again with Ellie.


After Dumbo, we all headed to The Barnstormer to use our last Fast Pass of the day.

The Barnstormer is a small roller coaster with a height requirement of 40 inches.  I was hoping it would be tame enough that Aleena would like it.  No such luck.  She and my dad were in the seat behind Randy and I.  I looked back at her about halfway through the ride and she had the look of terror on her face.  Poor kid.  She was such a trouper all week.  She rode everything she was tall enough to ride, hated a lot of it, but never complained.

That was fail number three for my sweet Aleena.

Once we were done with our rides, we hopped on the Disney World train to Main street and headed back to Adventureland for some Dole Whip.  Never heard of it?  Pineapple juice with pineapple soft serve ice cream to make a yummy pineapple float.  It was so good that it was gone in a flash and I never got a picture of it.

But I did get a selfie on the train!
After our bellies were full of ice cream, it was about 2:30pm.  We decided to find a seat on the curb on Main Street and wait for the 3 o'clock parade....which was awesome.  The parade was brand new, it just started the week we were there.

My Little Ladies are big into princesses and all of the Disney Princesses were in the parade.  Including Elsa and Anna.  Total score.

After the parade, we headed back to the hotel to relax, eat dinner and go to bed.

The next day would be Ellie's seventh birthday and we had some epic plans to look forward to....