Monday, February 10, 2014

The one about the dogs

I think it's about time for you to meet my fur-babies.

You got to know Jackson a little bit last summer when we were going through his ACL surgery and rehab (and more rehab).  You'll be happy to know that he's fully recovered and back to being very active...protecting our family from the evil squirrels that invade our oak tree...and the mail lady.  That poor, poor mail lady.

I spent quite a bit of time in the crate with Jackson.
As you may know, we have three dogs.  Yes, it's a lot, but it wasn't intentional...it just kind of...happened.  Let me start from the beginning.....

Back in 2004, Randy and I bought a house.  Part of the reason we wanted to buy was that dogs weren't allowed in any of the rentals we checked out.  We wanted a dog.

In February of 2005, we adopted Odie from Columbus Dog Connection, a local rescue organization.  We fell in love with his picture online.  That sweet face....that white heart on his head...


He was even cuter in person.  We were goners.

Odie was 4 months old when he came to live with us.  It was pretty clear to us early on that Odie needed another dog.  He had more energy than we could keep up with.  It's really unfortunate that I wasn't a runner back then.  He's a great running buddy and would have been very happy running long distances with me.


At that time, we weren't ready to be a two-dog family so we brought Odie to dog parks and arranged play dates with our friends' dogs.  A lot.

A little over a year later, we started looking for a dog for Odie.  We didn't want a puppy, we wanted a dog who could play and wrestle with Odie, who was 70ish pounds.

Jackson was 10 months old when he came to us in March 2006 (also from Columbus Dog Connection).  At the time, he was exactly Odie's size.  Jackson wasn't done growing yet, he's now around 85 pounds and taller than the kitchen table.


The boys were fast friends.

Ferocious Beasts
I believe it was June 2006 when Mirna from Columbus Dog Connection contacted me to ask if we could foster a puppy.

I can totally foster a puppy!


Randy said, "You can't foster a puppy."

My mom said, "You can't foster a puppy."

I can totally foster a puppy!


Well, it turns out that they were right: I suck at fostering.  But I'm really good at adopting.

In November 2006, we made it official.  Adora was ours.  She is the snuggle puppy...a 55 pound lap-dog, and we just adore her stick-up ears.


Four months later, Ellie was born.


22 months after that, Aleena joined the fun.


When the girls were babies, Jackson used to steal their socks...right off of their feet!  He'd wrap his lips around their toes, so gently and slip the socks right off.  It used to drive me crazy that my babies never had socks on, but now I look back and smile.

These days, the house, that seemed so roomy when we bought it, is busting at the seams with dog hair and love.


If you're in the Columbus area and looking for a furry friend, Columbus Dog Connection has dogs and cats available for adoption.

Even if you're not in the Columbus area, there are lots of fur balls looking for their forever homes.  Check out these sites for a shelter near you: