Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Solitude

Last Monday, I ran alone for the first time since early December.

These days, I usually have several running buddies who I meet up with in the early mornings, but all of my buddies were either out of town, or ran a big race the day before, so I was on my own that morning.

Going to bed Sunday night, I was a little worried that I'd be scared out in the dark 'hood alone.

A year ago, all of my runs were alone and in the dark--and I wasn't scared, but it's been so long since I've been out there by myself....

I happy to report that once I got out there, it all came back to me.

It was the glorious solitude that I remember.

I love that there are people crazy enough to meet me before dawn cracks.  Running with friends makes me happy.

I also love that running with friends for every run hasn't ruined me for running alone.  I smiled for most of this run....except for when I came to a snow covered road.  Then I was all,

squish, squish... Man, this sucks. ...squish, squish

Then I got back to bare pavement and I was all,

This is totally awesome!

Six blissful miles, all by myself....and a frigid selfie.

What?  I couldn't let those Lady Gaga lashes and frosty hair go unseen.


Oh, I love running.

Do you usually run alone?  With a group?  Do you ditch your runs if your group bails?  It's rare that I ditch my runs...once, my partner bailed and since I was exhausted and fighting a cold, I went back to bed.  Completely guilt-free.  But that's only happened once.