Monday, January 27, 2014

Two Words

Last week, one of my very favorite bloggers, Carla, shared this on her Facebook page.  The image originally came from the Elizabeth Gilbert Facebook fan page.  I'm not claiming ownership of this picture, only sharing it.


There were a lot of good responses including, "buy Apple", "say no" and "be yourself".

I thought about it for a while and came up with this:

Don't Rush.

I'm not a huge fan of the negative, "don't", but it fits the best and here's why....

I'm a pretty high-strung individual (those who know me in person are nodding their heads right now).  I talk fast, I walk fast, I drive fast and I WANT fast.

I make up my mind about what I want and I want it NOW.  I suck at waiting...so I rush.

A few years after Randy and I got married, I was in a rush to have a baby.  He was more sensible than I and we did wait a little longer than I wanted which worked out for the best job-timing wise.

Randy and I didn't have any time to enjoy being kid-less (and a double paycheck) after he finished his residency.  The week after my pay ended after I resigned, his residency ended and his pay doubled.  We never had a full income from both of us at the same time.

When Ellie was a baby, I was in a rush to have another.  I knew I wanted another, why wait?  I got pregnant with Aleena (on purpose) when Ellie was 12 months old.

At 22 months, Ellie was still very much a baby when Aleena was born.  Having two babies is hard, but that's not necessarily the reason for the "don't rush" in this case.

Would you get a load of those cheeks!
I see now that I didn't get to fully enjoy a lot of Ellie's toddler-hood because I was split between two babies at once.  I didn't miss any of her "firsts" but did I take the time to really absorb the moment?

No.

The same goes for all of Aleena's "firsts".  Her baby-hood is a blur.  Once we reached one milestone, it was off to the next.

Not that I didn't enjoy them as babies, I totally did.  I just don't think I savored the stage like I could have.  With all that spit-up, poop and not sleeping, who has time to savor?


Looking at my babies now: smart, strong, independent Little Ladies, I think to myself, "How did this happen?  How is it that they're getting so big?  Wait!  Let's not rush this growing up business!"

I see now, at the wise old age of 34, that if I don't slow down to enjoy the moment, I'll miss so much.

Time moves so fast all on its own.  I don't need to rush it along.

My loves.  I adore the missing front teeth. 

What two words would you tell your younger self?