Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Crazy is Contagious

I've talked about pre-dawn running before.  It's not ideal, but it's what works for our family, so that's what I do.  Over time, I've grown to love it.  There's something to be said about running in the quiet still of the morning before anyone else even thinks about rolling out of bed.  It really is peaceful.

At this time last year, I ran alone.  At times, it was a little creepy.  I'd hear a noise and get spooked...pick up the pace a little...

At this time last year, I was in solitude.  I'd make conversation with the bunnies and skunks....I'd swear at the paper delivery guys because they drive like fools....

My friend Kate joined me once for a pre-dawn run in my 'hood and she said, "Wow, there really isn't another soul around!"

I replied, "Did you think I was kidding?  Solitude."

I got so used to my solitude that any time I'd see another person, I'd say to myself, "A human!  They DO exist!"

Then there was that time a voice came through the fog and took a couple of years off my life.

An entry on DailyMile from a year ago.
I didn't mind being alone, which was good since I couldn't convince anyone to join me.  I had the bunnies to keep me company.

In the past few months, something changed, and now, I haven't run alone in over a month.

I can't imagine that my persuasive skills have improved that much in the past year....perhaps people are becoming more daring.....or perhaps everyone wants in on the selfies.

Yes.  It must be the selfies.

Yesterday, there were six of us running together in my 'hood at 5am.  Six.

I don't know how this happened, but I sure do like it.

And here's the selfie.

Jessica, me, Shelly, Rachael, Jennifer, Angela
I do think this change had something to do with the people I'm asking.  The Columbus chapter of Moms RUN This Town is nearing 200 members.  The group is made up of mostly moms and a lot of us are in the same boat, being limited on when we can fit in a run.  Our pre-dawn groups just keep getting bigger and bigger.

It appears that the crazy is contagious...

When do you run/workout?
Anyone want to join us next week?