Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Oatmeal Body Scrub


My skin hates winter.

I'm itchy and scratchy and rashy and flaky....

It's awful.

I started using coconut oil last year as a moisturizer and that helped a lot.  A few months ago, I found a recipe for an oatmeal scrub using coconut oil at A Pumpkin & A Princess and couldn't wait to try it out.  Since I was already using coconut oil, I already had all of the ingredients in my pantry.

I tested it on my hands first.  I was pretty sure that my skin wouldn't react to any of the ingredients, but just in case...

The scrub exfoliated and hydrated all of my dry patches and made my hands feel silky smooth.

Next came the shower test.  I used the scrub on my whole body, including my face.  After the shower, there was no need to lotion.  This.Is.Awesome.

I used it every day for a week.  It made my skin so happy.

Then I ran out and used my regular body wash and face wash for a few days.

My skin completely freaked.

I had a rash all over my body and my face broke out.  I made more scrub on the double.

Happiness once again.

This winter, Ellie has been getting the same dry patches that I get on my buns and the backs of my thighs.  Poor kid inherited my skin issues.  I've used this scrub on her a few times and it smoothed out her buns and gave her relief from the itchies.

Happy skin for the whole family!

Want some?  It's super easy.


Here's what you need:
1/2 cup dry oats
1/2 cup unrefined coconut oil
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp honey
1 tsp vanilla extract


Here's what you do:
Grind the oatmeal in a food processor or blender.  Make sure it's ground fine to prevent drain issues.  I like to mix the brown sugar in with the oats after I grind.


Mix all of the wet ingredients.  I whip this a little in the mixer to make sure the coconut oil is loose so there are very few clumps of coconut oil when I mix in the dry ingredients.
Pour in the oat/brown sugar and mix well.
Transfer the mixture to a container with a lid and enjoy!

Please note:
Since I use my scrub in the shower, my container accumulates water.  I dump the water out after every shower, but still, my scrub starts to go rancid after about 5 days.  If you plan to keep your scrub in the shower, no not make a double recipe thinking that you won't have to make it as often.  Been there, done that, and I wasted half of a container of scrub.  One recipe usually lasts me about 5 days so there's minimal waste.

If you are not going to use your scrub in the shower, it will keep for at least 2 weeks.  I had some in a container that never got wet and it lasted much longer than the scrub I had in the shower.  I ran out after about 2 weeks and it was still good.

How can you tell if your scrub is going bad?  Smell it.  If it smells like oats and vanilla, it's fine.  If it smells a little funky, it's time to make more.

How does your skin like winter?
What else do you use coconut oil for?