Monday, December 23, 2013

Pre-Dawn Running

When people find out that I run at 4:30 or 5, they often do a double-take.

"Five in the morning??"

Next come the questions.

"How?"

And with a furrowed brow, "Why?"

Let me start by saying that the pre-dawn hour was not my first choice in running times.  Of course, I'd rather be sleeping at 4am.

I've tried running in the afternoon.  I'd leave as soon as Randy got home and by the time I returned, it was time for dinner, baths and bedtime for the kids.  There was no family time and we weren't ok with that.

I've even tried to run after dinner and after the kids went to bed.  That didn't work out at all.  By the end of the day, I'm exhausted and ready for my day to be over.  I want to lay on the couch and watch TV, I don't want to run.

Randy has to be at work by 7am every day so unless I want to push a jogging stroller....and I don't....I have to get my run in before he leaves for work, which means I have to be finished and home by 6am.

No, my body doesn't naturally wake at 4am and no, it wasn't easy getting into the 4am routine, but running is a priority for me so I made the choice to do what it takes to keep running in my life.

There were other struggles besides just waking up:  I was alone.  It was dark.

I wouldn't say that it was lonely, but I was in complete solitude.  Most mornings, I didn't see another human being until I got home.  I saw plenty of skunks and I ran fartleks with the bunnies...."Hey, Bunny, I'll race you to that fence!"  (Unfortunately, that part is the honest to goodness truth.)

5am is dark all year long.  Even in the summer, I never see the sun rise.

Until recently, I never had a running partner during the week.  I'd ask and people would laugh at me.

This past summer, on a whim,  I asked Laurie if she wanted to do the mid-week long runs together while we trained for the Columbus Marathon.  She was usually a 6am runner, she didn't have the early time constraints that I did, but she said she'd rather run early than run alone.

SWEET!

From then on, one morning a week, I have a partner.

Laurie and I back in July
 A couple of months ago, a friend of a friend was looking for a 6am running partner.  Like Laurie, Jennifer would also rather run early than run alone.

SWEET!

Two mornings a week, I have a partner.

The Monday 5at5ers (Laurie, Jennifer and I)
I'm the Columbus chapter leader for Moms RUN This Town and slowly more ladies are starting to show an interest in joining Laurie, Jen and I for our pre-dawn runs.  Maybe we just make it sound really fun....maybe people just want in on our post-run selfies.

Hill repeats!  Marcie, me, Angie and Kate (MRTT)
The moral of the story, friends: Even if what you're doing is completely insane, as long as you take selfies, people will want to join you.


So....who wants to join us next week?


I'm having trouble with Internet Explorer 11 showing my comment field.  If you don't see the comments below, please try viewing this post in Firefox until I can get this issue figured out.  Thank you!