Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Koss Fit Series: A Review



Disclosure: This post is sponsored by FitFluential LLC on behalf of Koss.

Ladies, have you ever tried to use the ear buds that come with your smartphone?  I tried once.  Only once.  Want to know why?  (I was planning to tell you anyway.)  Because that giant ball doesn't fit in my ear!  They fall out and if I jam them in, they cause me pain.

You, too?

Lucky for us, the female designers at Koss teamed up with Dara Torres, a former competitive swimmer, world record holder and twelve-time Olympic medalist, to create ear buds that really fit women.

The Koss Fit Series includes two types of headphones: FitBuds and FitClips.

Koss sent me both to test and review.  I tried the FitBuds first.

My former ear buds (and I say "former" because I'll never go back to them) did not have the ball shaped ear cushion.  For some reason, I was under the impression that all ball shaped cushions were noise-cancelling.  (I don't know where I come up with some of the ideas that are in my head.)  When I'm running alone in the dark, I do not want noise-cancelling ear buds.


They're not noise-cancelling.  I'm pleased to say that I could still hear everything going on around me.



This past weekend, I hung out with the FitClips for 8.5 miles.

I'll be perfectly honest, I expected to hate the clips.  I was even planning, in my head, how I could nicely blog about hating them.

Then something crazy happened.

I loved them!

They fit in my ear perfectly, they fit around my ear perfectly and I couldn't even feel the clips while I ran.  I was completely shocked.

There's your lesson for the day, friends: don't make snap-judgments.  You never know what you'll like until you try it.

I had no idea how bad the sound quality was in my former ear buds until I wore the FitBuds and FitClips.  The songs on my playlist sounded very different--for the better.  I also had no idea how uncomfortable my former ear buds were.

My former ear buds were the eight dollar special at the grocery store.  I knew I'd be wearing them in the rain and snow and that I'd be sweating all over them, so why would I pay more?

Um...for comfort and sound quality, that's why!

Both the FitBuds and the FitClips are sweat resistant and come with three sizes of ear cushions for the perfect fit.  I did have to play with the cushions for a bit before I found the perfect fit for me with the FitBuds.

The FitBuds are 33% smaller than any other ear bud that Koss has produced.  I really think they nailed this one.  My ears weren't aching when I wore them.

The FitBuds and the FitClips each retail for $29.99 but Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Kmart, Walgreens and Sears will all have them on sale this holiday season for $19.99 or less.

Wait!  Here's the most important part: they come in a bunch of awesome colors!

Searching for the perfect stocking stuffer for an active woman in your life?  Give the Koss Fit Series a look.



Follow Koss

Have you ever tried something you thought you'd hate and ended up loving?

I'm having trouble with Internet Explorer 11 showing my comment field.  If you don't see the comments below, please try viewing this post in Firefox until I can get this issue figured out.  Thank you!