Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Farewell, 2013


Can you believe 2013 is over?  Time seems to be moving faster with every passing year.

Back in January, I posted several changes I planned to make in 2013.  Most were successful, a few were not:

 Fitness Changes:
  • definition in my arms ~ I did really well with this up until September when marathon training was getting to the hefty mileage and I was in PT for my calf.  I needed rest days and couldn't afford to cut the running, so I cut the weight training....and never added them back in after Columbus was over.  Weights are coming back this week.  Today, actually.
  • less jiggle in the belly ~ I did really well with this for a whopping 3 months.  After I tore my calf in March, I lived off of brownies for a week and never really recovered from that.  I will continue to make an effort with this in 2014.
  • wear my heart rate monitor for one run a week to make sure I keep my effort easy~Most weeks I forget the heart rate monitor, but I do a pretty good job keeping my effort easy.  Since all of my runs are now run with friends, it's easier for me to keep an easy pace; if I'm running too fast, I can't talk.
My fitness changes may have gone a little wonky, but check this out:
Non-Fitness Changes:
  • play more games ~ board games!  We are rocking this one.  The Little Ladies are loving Uno, Skipbo Jr, Dominoes and Sorry.
  • make an effort with my appearance ~ This one is going better than I expected.
    • learn to accessorize ~  My fashionable friend, Andrea, has helped me with this one.  I'm no longer afraid of long, chunky or statement necklaces.  More on this in a minute.
    • show my damn eyebrows some love~ I've been rocking this one too.  I'm tweezing at least once a month. 
    • buy shoes that are not sneakers or running shoes ~It took a while for me to find some that felt comfortable, but I've purchased THREE pairs of non-running shoes this year.  Two of said pairs of non-running shoes are boots and I'm not usually a boot-girl.  I'm branching out...expanding my horizons....
******************



Earlier this year, my friend Amy, from Amy Gaspard, offered to help me with my accessorizing by making me a statement necklace.  Amy is a beader and makes gorgeous pieces.  She's super talented.  Go take a look at her photo gallery.  







Right now.  

I'll wait.



I love these necklaces.  Love them.  When I first laid eyes on them, I thought they were awesome, but they were a little...well...big.  I don't wear big.










Reminder: we're stepping outside the comfort zone, Jamie.

Oh, yes, that's right.








I get a lot of compliments on them and the more I wear them, the more comfortable I am in them.  Fake it till you make it, right?  I'm thinking about trying out bigger necklaces in 2014.

Happy New Year, friends!

I'm having trouble with Internet Explorer 11 showing my comment field.  If you don't see the comments below, please try viewing this post in Firefox until I can get this issue figured out.  Thank you!