Tuesday, August 27, 2013

I pulled the Trigger


I've been thinking about it for some time now.

I made a training plan and I've been secretly training all summer.

Ok.  It's not so much of a secret.  My friends caught on quickly.

And I suck at keeping my own secrets.  I can keep everyone else's secrets, but not my own.  The excitement gets to me.

I've been waiting to register.  Waiting to make sure the calf muscle I tore back in March would tolerate the mileage increase.  Waiting to feel like I'm ready to take on 26.2 again.

The calf is holding up, but the jury is still out as to whether I can do it.

What is "IT", you ask?

The Columbus Marathon!


I pulled the trigger.  I'm done thinking about it.  On October 20th, I will take on 26.2 again.  I registered and then I had a small panic attack.

My heart rate went up a little when I typed that: I will take on 26.2 again.  EEK!  My last marathon was awful and I have to admit, it freaks me out a little to do it again. 

Long distance is what I love, so here I go.

I'm trying hard to not overthink that dreadful day last year that was the Cleveland Marathon, but all of the what ifs are in the back of my mind.

What if marathon day sucks again just like it did last time?

What if I'm just not cut out for the distance I love?

Then this caught my eye...


A magnet hanging on my fridge from Shubeez.  I keep it at my eye level (not very tall) to remind me every day to put the what ifs aside and just believe in myself.


Bring on 26.2.  I've got this.

I think.

Ok, so I'm a work in progress.


Have you ever run the Columbus Marathon or half?  I ran the half last year.  Loved it!