Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Wonderful Weekend Workouts

It wasn't exactly intentional, but this past weekend was one filled with lots of exercise.  I want to share the highlights with you... 

I ran first thing on Saturday morning.  I met Laurie and Sarah at a park at 5:30am and we logged 9.5 sticky miles.  Great start to the day!

Photo taken and owned by Laurie
Immediately after running, I changed my clothes in the bathroom at the park and headed to a yoga class.  (No need to "ew" here.  The bathrooms are well cared for and really clean.)

I haven't been to yoga since March when I tore my calf.  At my first physical therapy appointment, I asked Brent when I would be able to go back to yoga.  His response almost had me on the floor in a fit of giggles.
"Yoga?  What could possibly hurt your calf in yoga?"
Clearly, he's never taken a Vinyasa yoga class.

As soon as I walked into the room I felt the calm coming on.  We breathed, we moved, we stretched...then the real work started.

One of the things I love about yoga classes is that it's never the same workout.  This particular class gave me a serious workout.  It was hard.  My arms and legs were shaking and I was sweating but with the strategic inhaling and exhaling, it was tranquilizing.

I love yoga.

On Sunday, Randy, the girls and I headed downtown to the Columbus Jazz and Ribs Festival.  I don't care for smokey barbeque.  We went because there was stand up paddleboard (SUP) rentals on the Scioto River all weekend.

I've been wanting to try SUP for some time.  A bunch of my friends went back in June, but I was out of town and couldn't join them.

When we got downtown, I started to lose my nerve.  Maybe I should get in the canoe with Randy and the Little Ladies?

I'd rather not fall in the river.
I'm not a stellar swimmer.
Really.  What if I fall off?

Be fearless, Jamie.

I got on the paddleboard.

I paddled for a few minutes on my knees getting a feel for the board, the water and my balance.

Then I stood up.  I was a little shaky for a minute or two, but the panic subsided and before I knew it, I was paddling down the river.


This was so much fun.  I'm thrilled to say that I didn't fall in the river.

Randy and the Little Ladies enjoyed their canoe ride.  Both girls got a chance to row, row, row the boat.

 
I can't wait to SUP again! 
 
Project 908 is the company renting out the paddleboards this weekend at the Jazz and Ribs Festival.  Lucky for me, they also rent to private groups.  They will bring boards, paddles and life jackets to the Columbus area body of water of your choice, drop them off and pick them up when you're done.  SWEET!  My plans for another SUP rental day are already in the works.
 
Project 908 is not just a rental company.  They're a paddleboard manufacturer.  Yep, they make the boards.  How cool is that?
 
If you're in the Columbus area, you should check them out.  SUP is such a fun workout. 
 
Yes, it's a workout. 
 
My shoulders, arms and abs totally felt this one.
 
Find Project 908
How have your workouts been lately?
How often do you practice yoga?
Ever try SUP?