Friday, June 7, 2013

For the Love of Pooches

Here is the story of how we became a three-dog household. 

No, it wasn't intentional.

Way back in the dark ages (ahem, 2004), Randy and I bought our first house.  Our reasons for wanting a house included, but aren't limited to: we wanted to ditch our irritating neighbors in our apartment, we wanted a little more space, another bedroom would be great, and we wanted a dog.

In early 2005, I started perusing the websites of local shelters looking for a sweet face that just screamed, "Take me home!"

Randy found that face on the website of a local rescue organization, Columbus Dog Connection.


As soon as I saw Odie, I knew.  He was the pooch for us.

We couldn't have him right away, though.  there were a few hoops we needed to jump through first: We had to pass a home inspection and we had to meet Odie before we could sign adoption papers.

 
Odie is a good dog...with a ton of energy.  It didn't take us long to realize that Odie needed another dog to play with so we scheduled play dates with our friends' dogs.  I wish I'd have been a runner back then; Odie would have loved it.

Just over a year later, we were ready to adopt a little brother for Odie.  We didn't want a puppy.  We wanted a dog big enough to play with the O-man immediately.

No, Dad.  It's not time to study.  It's time to PLAY!
Back to the Columbus Dog Connection's website, I went.


Jackson was 11 months old, already potty trained and almost exactly the same size as Odie.  Jackson's foster parents brought him over for a play date to meet Odie.  They liked each other!  Perfect!  Jack's foster mom, Cindy, told me jokingly not to sign any adoption papers until after I see Jackson drink.  He gulps/chomps water.  When he walks away from the bowl, half of a gallon of water drips from his jowls.

We keep a lot of towels near the dog bowls.

Odie and Jackson quickly became best pals.


They were also great snugglers.












As all young boys do, they got into trouble together.
That used to be a couch.
A couple of months later, Columbus Dog Connection asked me to foster a puppy.

I can totally foster a puppy!

Randy told me that I shouldn't foster a puppy.

My mom told me that I shouldn't foster a puppy.

They were both worried that I'd get too attached and not want to let anyone else adopt her.

What do they know?


Adora was tiny when she came to us.  She was between 8 and 10 weeks old and the boys fell head over heels for her.  Adora quickly became "their puppy".

After about a month, I was completely in love.  I cried on the way to adoption events that I had to take her to and I cried all the way home.  (It didn't help that this was about the time that I got pregnant with Ellie.)

My list of requirements for any potential adopters was about a mile long and, if I'm being honest, no one was going to be good enough to adopt baby Adora.

A few months later, Randy and I decided to adopt her.

I concede.  Randy and my mom were right.  (Yes, Mom.  You read that right.)

I suck at fostering.  But I'm really good at adopting.


The dogs have their own couch.  No, they're not spoiled or anything.
I see now that Odie, Jackson and Adora were a pack right from the beginning.  They pick on each other, they protect each other, they love each other.  When one dog is removed from the pack, the other two whine until their team is once again complete.

I also see that we were meant to be a three dog household.  It's overwhelming at times, not a quiet house by any means and the yard always has a lot of poop to pick up, but the unconditional love we get from our large furry babies is worth all of the noise and upkeep.


My five babies.

What kind and how many furry babies do you have?
Have you ever fostered a pet?  Did you do a better job than I did?