Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Electric Run Race Review

Friday night, I ran my first ever nighttime race.  What a hoot!

Now would be a good time to disclose: the Electric Run offered me two free entries, one for me and one for a friend, and a discount code to share with the public in return for helping to promote their race.  All opinions expressed are my own.

I must warn you, many of the pictures are grainy or blurry, it being dark and all, but you'll get the gist.

Friday morning, I hit a local costume store to find black light glowing makeup.  I bought some body crayons and nail polish.  The nail polish looked pretty sweet under the black lights.  The body crayons were a disappointment.  The only color that actually lit up under the black light was yellow.  It's a good thing I'm not writing a review about those.

My friend, Kate, and I got downtown around 8 and met up with some of our Moms RUN This Town group.


My tutu?  It lights up.  Heck yea.
Photo owned by Stuart
(his came out better than mine)
Next, Kate and I wandered around until we found our other running group RunDMC.

Photo owned by Stuart (the guy in yellow)
This is so not a flattering picture of me, but it's a great photo bomb by Stuart, so I'm posting anyway.  I was trying to get a picture of the pink streaks I put in my hair (that didn't glow in the black lights.  Grr.).


After a little more primping and drawing with the body crayons that didn't light up under the black lights, we were ready to head to the start line!


The run was supposed to start at 9:20pm.  When Kate and I arrived, we heard an announcement that we would be starting at 9:40pm.  I was a little bummed about the time change, only because I had plans to meet friends to run at 6am on Saturday and starting later meant finishing later...which also meant less sleep.

The start was done in waves, which is good for crowd control on the course, but I was not in the first wave, so by the time I actually started running, it was 10pm.

I stuck with Kate and Stuart for the run...I use the term "run" loosely.  We walked most of this, we ran some and we skipped a lot.  (Skip to my Lou-skip, not cut corners-skip.)  There was also a little bit of twirling taking place.  It was hot and really humid out.  I was hoping that when the sun went down, the air would cool off a bit.  Not so much.

At the starting line.
Photo owned by Stuart
Mid-race
Photo owned by Stuart
The course was well decorated.  I loved skipping under the pretty lights.  There were lots of course marshals to keep us all safe.  We were sure to thank the police men for coming out and keeping us crazies heading in the right direction.  They all seemed pretty amused by all of the strange outfits.  (Seriously, friends, go do a nighttime run just for the people watching. You won't be sorry.)

At the finish, there was plenty of food and drink for purchase and a huge party going on with music and flashing lights.  It looked like a lot of fun.  The finish line party was scheduled to run until midnight, but I have no idea what time it actually ended.  Unfortunately, I couldn't stay to enjoy the festivities with my early wake up call the next morning.  As it was, I got home at midnight and went to bed without showering.

I know.  Gross.  I changed the sheets on Saturday.

The Electric Run was tons of fun and I'd totally do it again.  For those who love to race, please know that this is not a "race".  There is no clock, no timing chip and no finish prizes.

I'm usually one who will run for bling, but it was really fun to skip twirl walk run with only the purpose of hanging out with friends and enjoying the scenery.

Have you ever participated in an Electric Run?  This was my first, but it won't be my last!