Thursday, May 23, 2013

Getting Over It

I haven't written an update on life, the calf, or anything else in quite some time, so here goes...

First, some house keeping:

All Drenched 5K event registrations are open!  You can now register for any city in the US and use the $10 discount code DRENCHEDMOM.  I'm so excited for the Drenched 5K to come to Columbus.  I believe I've mentioned it a time or two.

The winner of the iBodyFit membership is: Danielle from It's a Harleyyy Life.  Congrats, Danielle!

The Columbus Electric Run's registration price goes up at 11:59 tonight!  If you haven't registered yet, do it today!  Use  discount code RRMR and save 10%.

********************

Now that that's out of the way, here's a calf update: I'm healed!

I saw my ortho six weeks after the injury, he told me to continue with physical therapy and move on with my life.  He also said, "See you later."  I said, "I sure hope not."

Have a nice life, Doc.

When I started physical therapy, I was told that I could run (intervals), but no jumping.  No plyometric exercises at all, no speedwork, no hills.  I gave up my Cathe DVD and when I swung the kettlebell with Gin, I did a step-together instead of the jumping shuffle. 

My awesome PT, Brent, had me jump while I was with him, but still told me no jumping at home.

Fast-forward to my last day of PT.  Brent and I had a long conversation about my calf and why it happened.  He really thinks it was a fluke.  It falls into the "shit happens" category of life.  There was nothing I did to cause it and nothing I could have done to prevent it.

But there was something weighing on my mind.

I don't wear shoes when I workout, unless I'm running, of course.  I do my DVD workouts in my family room in front of the TV.  I don't want to wear out my carpet with shoes, so I workout barefoot.

The first time I did my Cathe DVD, my ankles were sore the next day because of all of the jumping.  The second time I did the workout, my ankles were better.  My thought: I'm strengthening my ankles.  This will only help me with trail running, should I ever venture back into the woods.  Right?  But maybe that's not right.  Maybe I did this to myself.

I laid it all out and braced myself for his response.

No.  I didn't cause this by working out barefoot.  Whew.

He did advise that I ease myself back into my plyo workouts, similar to how I eased back into running, two minutes of exercise and one minute of rest.

I haven't done it yet.

Running is what I love and right now, I can run with no restrictions.  It's glorious.  I was doing a jumping exercise when I hurt my calf.  That's pain I never want to feel again.  Ever.  I'm terrified to try it again.

I'll get over it eventually.  I'm pretty sure I will.

For now, I will run.  I will complain about the humid weather and the elbow sweat, but I will run and I will love every single minute of it.