Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Outraged

I'm not even sure where to start with this.

I'm stunned.

I'm saddened.

I'm pissed.

As is every other runner in this country.

I've never run the Boston Marathon and I probably never will, but I take this attack very personally.  This is my sport and the runners are my people. 

I don't know them, I certainly can't keep up with them, but we all have the same goal: put one foot in front of the other and get to the finish line.

The Boston Marathon is the most prestigious marathon in the country; only the best of the best get to run it.  People work hard for the chance to run Boston.  Race day should be the most glorious day of their lives, filled with pride and happiness.  Instead, they're greeted at the finish line with misery and mayhem.

They were all cheated yesterday.

I'm outraged on their behalf.

I can't stop wondering: why?  Why target a marathon?

And should I be fearful of races now?  Should I discourage my family--my support system--from coming to cheer me across the finish line because some asshole might bomb the place?

That's bullshit.

If we give in to fear, they win.

We won't let them win.