Monday, April 1, 2013

Brownies Have Magical Healing Powers

Well, hello there!  After 10 days away from my Blogger account, I'd say it's about time to get back to my normal routine.  So much has happened in the past 10 days that I want to tell you all about, but I'm not going to get to it all in one post.

First off, vacation!  Being in the boot was only part of the reason for my absence.  Randy and I took the little ladies to Massachusetts to visit my grandparents for Spring Break.

My grandmother keeps saying that Randy must want to go somewhere "more fun" for vacation than to their house.  She can't believe that a week at their house is his idea of fun.

Sure, there are other fun places we want to take the girls.  My grandfather will be 90 years old next month and my grandmother is just a couple of years younger.  As much as I'd like to ignore this fact: they won't be around forever and there will come a day when going to visit them for a week is not an option.  That will be the day when we can go to the "more fun" places.  For now, we will cherish every moment we can get with them.

I have to say, my grandparents are not the same people I knew as a child.  Back then, they were so old.  Sounds strange that they're 90 years old and younger now than they were when I was little.  The more time I spend with them and the more I talk to them, the more I love them.  They're so wise and funny.  It blows my mind to think that when they were young, the television hadn't been invented yet and now, everyone has a computer that fits in the palm of their hand.  They've seen so much change in their lifetime.

My entire extended family lives on the east coast so I got to spend a lot of time with aunts, uncles and cousins last week as well.  Since I couldn't run, I had nothing but time to visit with family, eat too much junk food and stay up way too late hanging out with my grandparents.

My grandmother really enjoys feeding people.  She made pan after pan of delicious brownies and I ate them.  To make her happy, of course.

Jamie - running + brownies = a few pounds

(Have I ever mentioned that I was a math major in college?  True story.)

I feel lucky to have made it back home with only 5 extra pounds.  Hauling around the boot must burn a lot of calories.  (more on that later on)

Randy and I took the girls to Boston for a day (about an hour drive from my grandparents' house) and spent the entire day exploring the Boston Children's Museum.  Three stories of playing, touching, throwing, splashing and learning.



So.Much.Fun.















It was a super fun week and we're all happy to be back in our own beds.

As for my calf, it's feeling so much better!  There is no pain.  At all.  Technically, I'm still in the boot, but I've been walking around the house a little without it.  I start physical therapy next week and I'm very much looking forward to getting back out on the road.

This is a good place to stop.  I have some exciting news but I'll keep you on the edge of your seats until next time.

Have you ever been to the Boston Children's Museum?
What other must-see places would you recommend for future vacations?