Monday, March 4, 2013

ORRRC Half Marathon Training: Week 1

What a fun week!  I'm hoping the snow and ice are about done.  It is March, after all.

This week, I spent a lot more time outside on the non-icy roads (WOOT!), working out with my Cathe DVD (review to come) and I took my very first yoga class. 

Anne, Kate and I bought a Groupon type deal for 5 yoga classes so we could try it out on the cheap.  It turns out that I love yoga!  I've gotta tell ya, though, yoga is no joke!  My whole body was shaking while we were holding the poses and all of the muscles in my back were sore the next day.  I can't wait to go back!  I might even get wild and try a hot yoga class some time in the next 30 days.

I'm loving running outside this week.  It's been a little windy in these parts, but at least the temperature isn't in the single digits.

I joined the Pushing Our Luck March push up challenge using the 100 Push Up app.  I don't think I'll actually be doing 100 push ups, and I'm not sure I want to.  To be perfectly honest, it sounds boring.  That being said, the push up challenge will be good for my arms (which is one of my 2013 goals) and I'll still be getting the plank work in the process!  Win!

I did my initial exhaustion test on March first and made it to 22 good form push ups on my toes.  This puts me in week three of the program.  My first day was Sunday.  Week 3, day 1 was 12, 17, 13, 13, 17 with 60 seconds of rest between each set.  I did them all on my toes.  It was hard.

I finished the week of running with a 5K race on Saturday.  The full recap will be published on Wednesday, but here's a teaser:


Week 1
Monday: Cathe XTrain DVD
Tuesday: Run 5.18mi
Wednesday: Run 6.06mi, Yoga
Thursday: Cathe abs and arms, Run 5.04mi
Friday: Rest day! (100 Push Ups app exhaustion test)
Saturday: Run 5K race! (Recap coming soon!)
Sunday:  100 Push Ups Week 3, Day 1- 12, 17, 13, 13, 17
Total Mileage: 19.38mi
Total Time: 5hr 47min

How was your week? 
Did you have any fun workouts?
Have you ever tried the 100 Push Ups app?