Thursday, February 7, 2013

Swing in the New Year: Recap



Aww, the kettlebell challenge is over now, but the results are staying!


source
For the entire month of January, I used my kettlebell for at least 30 minutes, usually it was 40 minutes, three times a week.  I used the Swing Yourself Fit DVD that came with my kettlebell most of the time.  I liked that I wasn't standing still performing repetitions of the same moves every workout.  The DVD incorporates cardio, some dance, both upper and lower body moves and lots of badassery.

If you already have kettlebells, you can purchase the DVD that I've been using here.  Gin Miller is a great trainer.  She starts each set with beginner moves and adds on for a more advanced workout.  She cracks jokes and makes fun sound effects to keep the workout interesting.  Also, Gin looks like a "normal" woman.  She has hips and boobs.  She's not a twiggy telling all of us fattys how to get her body.  I also love that she's very fit but wears a full length shirt.  I don't know about you, but I don't need rock hard abs in my face to remind me of what I don't have...yet.  Thank you, Gin.  I can't say enough good things about Gin, her DVD or the kettlebell.

Why do I love the kettlebell?
It's fun! Plus, swinging heavy weights around is pretty badass.  I'm not a "sit still" type person (no kidding?) and I love all of the moving around I can do with the kettlebell that I can't do with my weight machine or even hand weights.  I really, really love that the 12 pound bell is getting to be too light for some exercises.

Changes I've noticed
First of all, my arms have more definition and my shoulders are firmer.  Gallons of milk (the heaviest thing I lift) at the grocery store feel lighter than they did in December.  Through the month of January, my arm measurement went up half of an inch and my waist measurement went down an inch and a half.  SCORE!

I am definitely keeping up with the kettlebell.  It will be part of my weekly training plan from now on.

If you look above this post, you'll see a Kettlebell Exercises tab.  I posted all of the kettlebell exercises that I've shared throughout the month and I'll continue adding to the list anytime I encounter awesome new moves so keep checking back.  Also, if you know of an awesome kettlebell exercise that I'm not doing yet, please fill me in!

Happy swingin'!

Let's discuss:
Do you love the kettlebell?  Why?
What are your favorite kettlebell exercises?
If you haven't tried using a kettlebell yet, what are you waiting for?!
 
I was not asked to review Gin Miller's Swing Yourself Fit DVD, nor was I compensated in any way.  All opinions are my own.

5 comments:

  1. I love my kettlebell BUT since our move she has gotten dusty.

    oops :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love kettlebell too! my dad gave me one for christmas about 6 years ago - before it exploded! - and my little bell is well-loved. SUCH a great workout!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love kettlebells. My favorite move would be the double kettlebell swing! I'm up to swinging 60lbs (30lbs each hand - and swing at same time). So glad you like the kettlebells!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 30 pounds in EACH HAND?! Wowza, you are badass!

      Delete
  4. the few times I did the kettlebells I LOVED it. I would love to find more time to do it more - ugh story of this crazy Mama's life! Love your blog :) www.colorushealthy.com

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.