Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Parenting

Parenting.  It's a loaded topic.

There are times--lots of times--when I'm just not sure if I'm doing this right.  Should I spend more time coddling?  Give them more independence and alone time?  Read more?  Play more?  Less structure?  More structure?

And of course there are plenty of people out there ready to tell me how I should be doing it.

There are the times that if I hear "Mommy" or "why?" or "I'm done pooping!" one more freaking time, I think my head will explode.

Just a few minutes ago, I sent this text massage to my friend Kate:
"Do you ever feel like you say the same f*cking thing over and over and over and over and over..."
To which she replied, "Oh, yes."

Well, thank God I'm not alone.

Then I scrolled through Facebook to see what was happening in the world and I came across a link to this blog post: Toddlers and Teenagers and In Betweens from the blog Katrina Anne Willis.  This is a must-read for parents with small kids.  Katrina is beyond the toddler-and-little-kid-wipe-my-butt stage of parenting and she made it through to the other side with much wisdom.

Go.  Read it.  I'll wait....

Oh my gosh, I think she's talking to me (and you probably think she's talking to you).  It was exactly what I needed to read exactly when I needed to read it.
"Shit survives." 
This one quote made me feel like a better mother than I was 5 minutes before.  There have been lots of days when I haven't been perfect; I lose my patience.  There will be many more.  There have been lots of days when my kids have eaten too much sugar and not enough veggies, there will be many more.  Shit survives.

The second best quote:
"Hang in there. Sleep when you can. Drink when you must."
Drink when you must.  That's what I'm talkin' about!  This crazy life of parenting isn't all rainbows and unicorns.  Most days it's fun, or there are at least a few fun parts of most days.  Some days it sucks.  It's hard.  It's work.  It's messy.  It's loud.  It's constant.

And I love every awful, messy, awesome minute.
Haw can you not love Rambo headbands and piggie pajamas?
Occasionally, there are tiny snippets--slivers of time--that I'd like to bottle. "Mommy, thank you so much for the pizza."  "No, thanks.  I don't want the Eggos.  I like your waffles better."  "You're the best mommy ever."

I must be doing something right...right?

So are you.

3 comments:

  1. As you sent that to me I was thinking "its 5:00 somewhere" then promptly remembered I had 6 miles to run still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so sweet to share my blog post! Thank you! Wasn't my doctor a genius?? And those girls of yours?? Lordy, they're adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Genius! :)
      Thanks for the original post. I love it. I'll bookmark it and read it often.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.