Friday, February 1, 2013

Pad Thai (and Other February News)


Who loves pad Thai?  I do, I do!

This is not a recipe I made up.  I stumbled upon it when I searched for recipes with chicken and bean sprouts at allrecipes.com and it was so good that I didn't have (or want) to tweak it in any way.

First, I want to talk about fish sauce.  The recipe calls for 6 tablespoons, which sounds like a lot.  I had people gagging on Facebook with my talk of fish sauce.  When I opened the fish sauce, I took a whiff...and gagged.  I thought to myself, "Crap.  This is going to suck.  Maybe I should put less in?"  I'm glad I stuck to the recipe.  When I mixed all of the sauce ingredients together, there was absolutely no disgusting fishy smell.  The end product tasted nothing like fish.  It only tasted delicious.

Friends, don't be afraid to try new things, and don't be afraid to try recipes with ingredients that you already know you don't like.  Had I completely dismissed the fish sauce, I would have missed out on the fantastic flavor of this dish.

You're not a cook?  Me either.  At least, I wasn't.  One year ago, this month, my husband got a promotion that changed his work hours so he couldn't do any of the cooking for dinner.  I totally freaked.  I hated cooking.  It was hard and I sucked at it and it was the least enjoyable part of my day.  Less enjoyable that potty training the kiddo!  I'd rather wipe butts than cook.  There.  I said it.

Now, cooking is more enjoyable.  I've gotten better, I'm faster and I've gotten brave enough to put my own spin on some recipes.  So all of you non-cooks out there: give it a try!  Practice makes better.

Here you go: you have got to make Joe's Fusion Chicken Pad Thai.


What have YOU been cooking up lately?  I've made this twice now, once with chicken and once without.  It's just awesome.

************

Happy February!  I'm participating in lots of February Challenges.  I want to share the fitness challenges with you.

I already told you about Anne's Fit February Challenge, but here's a reminder if you haven't joined yet.

Who loves planks?  Not me, which is why I joined Kim's Plank a Day Challenge.  I will plank for at least one minute every day.

Yesterday, I was invited to join Denise's Love My Abs Challenge.  We did this last year for Valentine's month and she brought it back this year.  I've been focusing a lot on working my abs, especially with the kettlebell, I'm totally in for this one.  If you join, be sure to tweet with the hashtag #lovemyabs.

I find that monthly challenges keep me honest and the other challengers hold me accountable.  I've also been introduced to lots of great new exercises in past challenges.  I'm all about trying new things!

Do you like monthly challenges?
Will you join any of these February Challenges?

7 comments:

  1. Cool challenges!

    I'm doing a blogging challenge and I'm going to try to attempt a 100 day burpee challenge. We'll see how that goes.

    Have a great month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of great challenges!! I've been doing a 5 minute plank workout a few times a week that I love - it's so hard (not 5 minutes straight) but feels so effective!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gagged the first time I opened fish sauce, too... but it adds so much flavor! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great group of challenges! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you're rockin the challenges! Good for you! And thanks for sharing the recipe, I love pad thai and was surprised to see that it didn't look too hard to make!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks yummy! I like to experiment with cooking too. The hubby is a good cook and I should leave well enough alone. I like simple, easy recipes that make him say, "make that again."

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.