Monday, February 25, 2013

Let the training begin!


Woohoo!  My first half marathon of the year is in six weeks!  It's about time to start training, you think?

It's not as bad as it sounds.  For the past 6 months, I've been running between 20 and 30ish miles a week with my long runs being between 8 and 13 miles.  I'm in good shape.  My "training plan" is pretty much maintenance with speed work.

Speaking of training plan...I don't have one.  Not an official one, anyway.  I searched for training plans online and I couldn't find anything that met my needs.  I don't need a plan that builds from zero, so the ready-made plans from Hal Higdon's website weren't going to work for me and when I put my information into Runner's World's Smart Coach, the plan it spit out involved running 13 miles every weekend for 10 weeks.  What?!  That just didn't sound like a smart thing to do.

I'm left to my own devices, I suppose. (Please note: I am not a running coach.  I am not certified to create training plans.  The only "expertise" I have is knowing what has worked and what has not worked for me in the past.  I am not suggesting to y'all that you should go make up your own training plan.)  I wrote a "plan" that started in January, not because I started training for my half marathon in January, but because I tend to do better when I have a plan and I'm not just winging it every day.  When I go to bed at night, I like to know what I'm doing in the morning.  That's my Type A coming out.  Randy calls me anal retentive.  I call myself prepared.  That's my story...

Since I spent my whole 2012 summer injured, I'm being extremely careful to not cause another sucky injury that will keep me from doing the things I love.  After my hip healed last summer, I've been sure to follow these rules to avoid another injury:
  • I run fast once a week.  Every other day I run at a conversational pace.
  • Every fourth week, I recover.  No speed and I shorten all runs.
  • My long run does not exceed the number of miles I run throughout the week.
  • I have at least one run in the middle of the week that is at least half the distance of my weekend long run.
I got all of these ideas from past training plans and all of the reading I've done on marathon training.  So far, it's worked.  Knocking on wood.

Today marks day 1 of ORRRC half marathon training....aaaaand there is no running on day 1.  Mondays are strength/cross training days.   I'll be sure to kick butt on day 2.

Are you training for anything right now?
Where do you find your training plans?