Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Coconut Oil Body Butter


Several weeks ago, I came across a pin on Pinterest for homemade coconut oil body butter.  I followed the link and it led me to The Nourished Life blog.  I've been hearing a lot about coconut oil and was very interested in this post and several others that she has written about the benefits of using coconut oil for skin care.

I have several dry, itchy, eczema-like patches of skin on the backs of my legs and on my buns.  I constantly apply lotion, but after an hour or so, I'm itchy again.  Randy makes fun of me because I'm constantly scratching my butt cheeks.  It was getting to be a serious problem. (I know, total, TMI, but when I mentioned my issue to one of my friends, she said she has the same issue!  Maybe one of you out there has it too?)  I was curious whether or not coconut oil would help me.

Elizabeth from The Nourished Life was kind enough to post a tutorial of how to make coconut oil body butter.

The things you'll need:
  • stand or hand mixer
  • 1 cup coconut oil
  • 1 teaspoon vitamin E oil
  • essential oil for fragrance (I didn't use any added fragrance)
Elizabeth's tip: don't use a blender or food processor.  The motor heats the oil too much and it won't whip.


I cut this recipe in half.  I didn't know if I would like it, so I didn't want to make too much and be stuck with it.  I dropped the coconut oil and vitamin E into my stand mixer and let it whip for a few minutes.
Some strange things I noticed: coconut oil is a solid at room temperature, but it melts very easily at body temperature.  As I scooped the coconut oil out of the jar and it melted on my hands, my skin felt greasy. This was mildly alarming as I don't want greasy skin, but after a few minutes, it was completely absorbed and there was absolutely no greasy feel.  None.
I applied the coconut oil body butter for the first time as soon as it finished whipping.  Right there in the kitchen, I pulled my pants down and lathered myself up.
 
 
It. Was. Heavenly.
 
I wasn't itchy anymore.  The scaly, dry patches were gone.  I was left with smooth skin.  When I told Randy my exciting news, he replied, "Smooth butt-skin?!  That's great!"  Smartass.
 
A few days later, I ran out of my usual face moisturizer (that costs me $20).  Hmm, I wonder....
 
I took a little self-convincing, but I tried the coconut oil body butter on my face.  I figured I'd give it a day or so, if the skin on my face completely freaked out, I'd go back to buying the expensive stuff.
 
My face loves this stuff!  My skin is clearer and smoother than it was while using the expensive stuff and it only has two ingredients--both of which I can pronounce!  I can't say that about the $20 stuff.
 
Folks, we have a winner.
 
The nourished Life also has a post about using coconut oil on your face.  Read it here.  She did research, I'm just winging it.
 
As I read more about using coconut oil, I'm coming up with more ideas for it.  For instance, I have very curly hair.  Some strands are coarse and kinky, some strands are soft ringlets.  All of it tends to frizz.  Yep, I was blessed with all kinds of hair issues!  I'm currently in "test mode" with coconut oil in my hair.  I haven't found the right application strategy just yet, but I'm getting closer.  Stay tuned...
 
 
 
Let's discuss:
Have you ever tried coconut oil?  On your face?  In your hair? 
If yes, do you love it?
If not, will you?


6 comments:

  1. So far my body doesn't hate it, so thank you! :) I think we have a new winner! I'm not sure if I'll try it on my face, but rest of my body seems to like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine either..legs and heals are feeling great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I'll have to try this! So far, I've only used coconut oil in baking. I made oatmeal chocolate chip cookies and replaced the butter with coconut oil. They were aaaamazing. I know coconut oil is supposed to have all sorts of magical uses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great info! I've been hearing great things about Coconut Oil too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I will have to try whipping coconut oil. I have extremely dry skin that gets flaky and I've been cleaning/moisturizing my face with oil (mosty jojoba, as that is what I had on hand), and it's made such a dramatic improvement - my skin is now smooth and soft. It's amazing that something so inexpensive can outperform things that cost so much more. And for any girls out there with oily skin worrying about putting oil on your skin, just try it - it seems all wrong, but it works even for oily girls from what I've heard. Like disolves like - oil disolves oil. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have oily places on my face and I was really nervous to put on more oil, but it's awesome!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.