Monday, February 18, 2013

Coconut Oil and Hair Care


I've told you all how much I love coconut oil on my skin.  Several of you even contacted me to tell me that you made some of your own!  Yay! 

I've been testing out coconut oil in my hair, hoping that I could ditch my pricey anti-frizz product.  As I've mentioned before, my hair is curly.  It's very curly and seems to be getting curlier in my old age; some strands are even kinky.  Yes, there's a difference between curly and kinky.  If you asked that question, you obviously don't have curly hair.

If you've met me in person (most of you who read this blog have), you'll know that my hair looks to be a few inches past my shoulders. It might surprise you to hear that my hair is actually a few inches above my waist when I stretch the curls.  Yep.  My curls are about 7 inches longer than they appear, and if I were to let them dry without using any anti-frizz product, they go crazy.  Seriously.  I wouldn't post a picture of that mess.

From what I've read on the great Internet, many people use coconut oil as a hot oil treatment for their hair.  I've read that for best results, treat your hair for 30 minutes three times a week. (Find that information here.)  Smear the coconut oil on your hair and wrap your head in a hot towel.  Leave it on, rewarming the towel as needed for 30 minutes, then wash your hair and style as usual.

I don't know about you, but I don't have an extra 30 minutes three times a week plus time to shower afterward.  Maybe I'll have the time when both kids are in school all day, but for now, I just don't have that kind of time to commit.  As it is, I get up at 4:30am to exercise.  I'm not getting up any earlier to sit with oil on my head for 30 minutes, even if one of my New Year's goals is to focus on my appearance.  There has got to be a better way!

I also found a post on Naturally Curly where a commenter said they smear some coconut oil on their hair after washing and style as normal.  Hmmm....

So I started experimenting.

Day one of applying coconut oil to wet hair and styling as usual led to awesome hair!  I told my husband that I'm never buying expensive hair product again!

Day 2 led to very fluffy, greasy hair.  Not so awesome.

Day 3, more grease.

Time for something new.  I applied the coconut oil after I washed my hair, then rinsed it out a little before towel drying and combing with a detangler.  (I don't use brushes.  Ever.)

Day 1: awesome hair.  GREAT!

Day 2: grease.  Crap.

It appears that there is a such thing as too much of a good thing.

Since then, I've been applying a small amount of the coconut oil and rinsing afterward twice a week as well as using my regular product, but I'm finding that I'm using a lot less of my regular product and my hair looks healthier, all shiny and soft with no frizz.  (I'm pretty sure that was a run-on sentence, but we'll just go with it.)

I was really hoping to ditch the expensive product altogether but, so far, I'm still finding it necessary.  The good news is that I used to use a lot more product and my hair was still on the frizzy side.  I will keep experimenting and if I ever find the perfect technique and can ditch the product altogether, I'll be sure to let you all know.

Anyone else out there with wild curls?
Have you experimented with coconut oil for your hair?  Any tips?

7 comments:

  1. i haven't tried coconut oil for anything other than food, but i'd love to try it on my skin and hair!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmmmm...I seem to have the same exact hair, but brown, and ummm gray! I have tried I feel everything to control my curls to eliminate the frizz and frankly havent found my thing yet ! Errrrr.....at least I am in great company!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just cut off about 18" of my wavy/curly hair (I've got nothing on you, trust me!), but my hair is all the things that shouldn't go together - thin, fine, wavy/curly, limp and frizzy. What the what!? It's still a struggle to find something light enough to not weigh it down, since it has no volume anyways, especially at the roots, that will keep the frizz away without staying wet looking/crunchy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hair product that I use is S Factor (by TIGI). It's not greasy and doesn't stay crunchy, especially now that I'm using much less!

      Delete
  4. My hair also curls (though not quite as much as yours). I'd love to find a product to replace the silicone styling product I've been using... I'm going to have to give this a try. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No curls here... but I'm intrigued by the many uses of coconut oil. Thanks for sharing your experience!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are days I am sad my mom cut the curls off that I had back when I was 2 or 3 then I read this post and knowing I am not a high maintenance girl, I am happy to be a short hair wearer. This sounds like work to me......LOL

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.