Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Wordy Wednesday: The New Me


2013 will be the Year of Awesome.

Why?  Because I'm going to make it awesome.

I've got some exciting news to share, but first....

Friends, let's chat.  It seems like a lot of great things have been happening to me lately. 

They're not.

Things don't just happen. Something or someone needs to make them happen.  I am making them happen.  I'm putting myself in a position for great things to happen to me.  Most of the time, this means stepping out of my comfort zone.  Sometimes it means stepping way out.  Nothing worthwhile is easy, right?

You might think I'm brave, outgoing, comfortable in my own skin and think highly of myself.  I'm not, I am, I'm not and I don't.  Ok, I am outgoing, but that's about all I have going for me.  The rest of those things?  They take work.  A lot of it.

Two and a half very short years ago, I was unpleasantly plump and needed a new bathing suit.  While trying them on, I looked in the mirror and thought, "Who the hell are YOU?!"  It's pretty bad when a suit that's "flattering for every figure" was not flattering.  At all.

That day, right there in the Kohl's fitting room, I decided who I wanted to be...and it wasn't the person I saw in the mirror:  The couch potato.  The ice-cream-for-dinner eater (ok, some habits are harder to kick than others).  I had a vision for myself: to be healthy and active, and I had no idea where to start.

I have an elliptical machine; I started using it.  After a few months, I ran out of magazines to read and I was getting bored.  I needed to change things up.  I tried out running with Anne and never looked back.

With a lot of miles and eating real dinner instead of ice cream (most of the time), I became my Kohl's fitting room vision of myself and created a new vision: be strong (mentally and physically), take chances and to not be afraid of failure. 

I'm going to be fearless in 2013. (And I hoping to make fearless a habit in 2014...)

Fit Approach

Ever heard of it? (Click on the picture and check it out.)  Sweat Pink is where tough and girly come together.  As soon as I heard of it, I wanted to be part of the group.  I started filling out the application to join then I got to "the question". 

Why should I be part of their community?  I dread this type of question. (Um...I sweat a lot and I love pink?)

You see, I'm not good at selling myself.  Compliments embarrass me and I just feel like an idiot when I have to tell someone how awesome I am.

I don't think that I do anything extraordinary.  I run because I like to run.  I run long because I like to run long.  I run before the crack of dawn because that's when I can fit it into my day.  (And if that makes me awesome, aw, shucks, I'll blush.)

Two weeks ago, I received an email:

WOOT!  I totally sweat pink.

You never know what can happen if you don't put yourself out there.

But wait, there's more!

Pretty Muddy Women's Mud RunIn a moment of bravery about a month ago, I applied to be on the blogger team for the Pretty Muddy Run. If you read the guest post I wrote for Fitspiration for Moms last month, you know I'm not a big fan of getting dirty. I've never had anything good to say about mud/obstacle runs, either. My husband's jaw dropped when I told him. Why on Earth would I want to be on a team for a mud run?!


Because I'm fearless.

Fake it 'till you make it, right? I'm stepping out of my comfort zone. No. I'm running away from my comfort zone. It's nowhere in sight!

Ever heard of the Pretty Muddy? It's a women-only 5K full of fun obstacles. None of that running through live electrical wires or jumping over fire pits. (Seriously, who does that?!) Check out the website, it looks like a lot of fun! Enter the code GIRLTIME when you register for $20 off the registration price. Hurry, this code is only good until January 31! The Pretty Muddy in Columbus will be on September 14, but this code is good for ALL Pretty Muddy events nation-wide.

If you're in Columbus and are interested in joining a team led by Anne and I, don't register just yet, send me an email: riserunmomrepeat@gmail.com and I'll give you specific instructions.

Introducing...the new me! I'm brave, I'm sure of myself and I'm muddy. (wince)

ViewSport posted this on their Facebook page last week.  It totally hit home for me.
Some morning motivation for all of you ...


Please, share your visions of YOU.

Who are you?  Who do you WANT to be?

24 comments:

  1. YAY!!! Congratulations!!! You will be such an asset to the Sweat Pink! You are such a treasure and I consider myself lucky to have you in my mother runner blogger life. xox

    I never thought of myself as a mud runner util presented with the opportunity to run Pretty Muddy. We had a BLAST! I can't wait to do it again this year!

    2013 is going to be EPIC! WATCH OUT! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Denise! What a great comment. :)

      Delete
  2. CONGRATS!!!!!!!
    and me?
    today I will be a better ME than yesterday.
    I hope :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on both!! You're so right- taking brave steps and putting yourself out there can take you to new, exciting places. Excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm surprisingly excited to get muddy...

      Delete
  4. Yay! Glad you'll be getting muddy with us! Now we just need to pick our team name....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! You never know how brave you are till you get out of the comfort zone. Yay for getting dirty and being fearless!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome, awesome, awesome. Congrats and looking forward to following the journey. 2013 is gonna be HUGE for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great way to start 2013! You have a lot of adventures to look forward to this year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations!! Welcome to the sisterhood. :) Sounds like you're off to a wonderful start!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post speaks to me. I am like you, I like to stay in my comfort zone. And like you I have been trying to push myself out of it. It pays off. Here's to sweating pink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the nice comment, Debbie! It's great to hear from so many SPAs today! :)

      Delete
  10. Congratulations on being the you you want to be! :) That sounded better in my head. Nonetheless, the congratulations is sincere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...it sounded good to me, too! Thanks, Mandy!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.