Friday, January 18, 2013

Waffles!

 
 
The waffles pictured above were, indeed, prepared by the non-cook.  Impressed?  Shocked is more like it.
 
Here's a funny story:
 
I had a hankering for homemade waffles.  (I've always wanted to use the word "hankering".)  I also want to get away from buying, and feeding my kids (and myself), prepared frozen waffles.  No, I don't have a waffle iron.  What non-cook has a waffle iron?! 

So I bought one.
 
Don't get excited, it's nothing fancy.  I bought a little Black and Decker number on sale at Kohl's for $24.99 and I had a 30% coupon.  Have I ever mentioned that I rarely shop without coupons?  It's my way of sticking it to the man.
 
I brought my new prize home, cleaned it, seasoned it and made the little ladies and I waffles for dinner.  (Randy had a work-thing and was totally jealous to miss breakfast for dinner.)

I found a pretty simple waffle recipe on allrecipes.com, but, according to me, it didn't have enough vanilla extract.  You can never have enough vanilla extract.  It took a couple of tries to prefect this recipe, but I think I've got it.
 
This part smelled pretty good.

This part smelled even better.

Oh my gosh, these are wonderful.  Eggo, eat your heart out.
 
 
Recipe:
2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cup warm milk
1/3 cup butter, melted
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Mix it all up and scoop into waffle iron as directed by your owner's manual, wait for it to cook and enjoy. :)

What have you been cooking up lately?


3 comments:

  1. Nostalgia is kicking in! I miss waffles! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! I haven't had waffles in way too long. And cooking in my house is dangerous - there's no-one around to eat it all!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.