Monday, January 14, 2013

Kettlebell Workouts: Week 3

The month, and the Swing in the New Year Challenge are half over already!

Ever since the little ladies were born, I swear, time moves faster than it used to.

How was your week last week?  Did you get in the three workouts?  I did!  Woot!

On Monday, I spent 30 minutes loving on my kettlebell doing some of the different exercises that I shared last week and the week before.  Thursday and Friday, I worked out with the kettlebell DVD.

I'm finding that as much as I'm bored with the music of the DVD, I like those exercises the best.  The trainer on the DVD is Gin Miller, ever heard of her?  She has a nice voice, makes fun sound effects and she even cracks a few jokes.  I like her. 

I'm going to share a few of the exercises in the video with you today.  Don't worry, Gin, I'm not giving away any of your secrets.  All of these exercises can be found elsewhere on the web.

Figure 8

Exactly how it sounds: draw a figure 8 in the air in front of you while holding the kettlebell by the horns.  Keep your core tight and bend your knees.  It's hard.  Enjoy.

Rock the Baby

This one is really good.  If you rock fast, you'll raise your heart rate and you can work up a great sweat.  If you go slow, you torture your shoulder muscles and who doesn't love a good torture session?!  Again, keep your core tight and bend your knees.

Dead Lifts

Really good for balance!  As a former gymnast, I used to do this all the time on a 4 inch wide  balance beam 4 feet off the ground.  These days?  HA!  My balance is a joke but getting a little better thanks to all of this practice.  Keep your shoulders back and your back straight.  Lift your leg as you lower the weight keeping your body in a straight line like a playground see-saw.  When you wobble (and you will), please, put your foot down before you fall.

Squat Side Leg Lift
Saddlebags?  What saddlebags?  I love this move.  Possibly my favorite.  Keep your core tight.  This one will get your heart rate up.

Have fun with these!  One two weeks to go!

How is your kettlebell challenge going?  Have you tried any of these exercises or any of the exercises in the past two posts?  What's your favorite?

12 comments:

  1. Those pictures are seriously impressive! I've never really worked with kettlebells, but I've only heard good things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so fun! I think part of the fun is feeling like a total badass swinging that thing around. ;-)

      Delete
  2. LOVE THIS!!
    I just unpacked my kettle bell too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kettlebells are such a great tool. Love that squat move you show at the end--great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That one is a real burner! It works EVERYTHING!

      Delete
  4. Looks like an awesome workout! Bookmarking this to come back to if I ever get my own kettlebells :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks. You have inspired me to get mine out today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. fun! i love kettlebells...will have to try some of these!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.