Friday, January 11, 2013

Italian Breadcrumbs

Once upon a time, the girl who called herself a non-cook ran out of Italian breadcrumbs and was too lazy didn't want to drag the little ladies to the store for more.  She looked around the kitchen and found a leftover baguette that was getting stale and got an idea.

She can make her own breadcrumbs!

I'm not sure why she thought this as she was a non-cook, but that's the way the story goes, I swear. 

It turns out that these homemade breadcrumbs were way better than the store-bought and she never bought breadcrumbs from the store again.

The end.

I don't exactly follow a recipe, but here's the non-recipe from this non-cook.
Cut the leftover almost stale baguette (or any bread, really) into chunks.  We love the baguette's from The Anderson's General Store and usually, we have some leftover.  If we don't eat it on the second day, it gets too stale to eat at all.  Breadcrumbs is the perfect use!
Process the bread.  This takes a while.  Turn the food processor on and walk away for a minute or two.  There will be some large chunks, especially if you use a crusty bread, we're going to process it again later, so don't worry about the chunks yet.
The inside of the bread will still be a little moist and will mold so I spread the crumbs on a parchment lined cookie sheet or jelly roll pan. spritz them a little with cooking spray and pop them in the oven set at 350 for about 4 minutes.  We want the bread dry, not toasted so watch it carefully.
When the crumbs are dry, process them again, for just a few seconds this time, they'll break up easily.
Voila!  You have breadcrumbs.  You can stop here if you don't want to season them.  You can always season them as you use them.
I rarely use plain breadcrumbs, so I season them as I make them.  I like Italian style, so I use oregano, granulated onion, granulated garlic and basil (you can add salt and pepper if you'd like).  I don't measure, I just sprinkle based on how much bread I have.
 Mix it all together, taste it, if it needs a little more, add it.  I store my breadcrumbs in an airtight container for two weeks if they last that long.
These breadcrumbs taste so much better than store-bought, and they're easy (and cheap) to make!  Score!

What have you been cooking up lately?

4 comments:

  1. We do this too! They do taste so much better and you know EXACTLY what you're adding to it. Thanks for linking up and sharing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! There's nothing in there that I can't pronounce!

      Delete
  2. Very nice you non-cook cook. Sounds yummy but I bet I will be too lazy to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That's because you get to run out to the store without an entourage!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.