Thursday, January 24, 2013

Daily Hydration



It occurred to me this week that I have no idea how much water I drink in a day.  I know it's a lot and I was pretty sure it's enough but was curious exactly how much I drink.

As with anything else, there's an app for that!

I downloaded the free app, Water Your Body, from the Android Market.  Don't have an Android?  I'm sure there's a similar app for your network.

Water Your Body comes with default sizes of water bottles and glasses, but you can change the size of your vessels in the settings menu.  I usually drink out of a 12 ounce glass or a 22 ounce sport bottle.

How much water should you drink?  According to the app, you should drink half of your body weight in ounces.  According to other online sources, there isn't really a specific amount.  You should drink enough so your urine is colorless and odorless.  That sounds more logical than assigning an exact number of ounces. 

For the past two days, I've run inside on the treadmill (grumble, groan).  Compared to outside, it's hot on the 'mill, therefore I drank more water than I would have had I been out in the arctic temperature; my body needed more water than it would have had I run outside and I went way over in my drinking (according to the app).  The picture above was before 7am and I was already more than halfway to my total water goal for the day.  According to the Water Your Body app, by the end of the day, I ended up drinking 38 ounces more than my daily "requirement".

I probably will not continue using the app because I know now that I drink more than enough water and I don't need reminders to do so.

Do you have trouble remembering to drink? Keep a bottle/glass of water in front of you at all times.  Bring a reusable bottle (let's be green, people) with you wherever you go.  It's rare that I leave my house without my sport bottle.

If I have water in front of me, I will drink it.  The same goes for martinis and wine.

 
Have you ever used a water intake app?
Do you think you drink enough water?

8 comments:

  1. I drink over a gallon a day, I have a huge 44oz glass at my desk that I refill 2-3 times a day, and when you get bored with just water, I add some crystal light to give it some flavor, on occasion, I will add chia seeds too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I throw some lemon in when I get bored of plain water. :)

      Delete
  2. Of course there's an app for that! Makes me laugh--I'm so out of touch with the "modern" world that I am a big fat fail on good apps. Anyhow--i am a big water drinker. It just comes naturally to me for some reason, so I guess I am lucky. The amount of time I have to spend peeing, however, maybe not so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. I'm up at least once during the night to go to the bathroom. Better than being thirsty, right?

      Delete
  3. Drinking enough water is one of my major fails. My kiddo spills and steals anything remotely resembling a water container. Maybe I need an app to remind me to drink more water. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I drink water all day - I have a 32oz cup that I probably empty 6-7 times.
    Might be fun to get an app and track it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely don't drink enough water. I downloaded the app! We'll see if it helps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started drinking water back about 12 years ago when I gave up soda. At first I found myself needing to cut a lemon and squeeze it in it to get it down. Now its just second nature. I take my water bottle with me everywhere. I sadly had to get rid of one that had bit the dust and I was sad! It had gone to places like Aruba, Paris & Belgium with me. So sad! Now I just drink water without lemon and I love it. You can do it!! I have faith!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.