Saturday, January 5, 2013

A Letter to My Four Year Old

Sweet Aleena Catherine,

Before you were born, I used to wonder what you'd look like, what you'd sound like and what kind of little person you would be.

Now, here you are, four years old.  You're exterior is beautiful, matching your personality, and you have a teeny tiny voice that makes everyone you encounter swoon.

Where has the time gone?  I remember the day you were born like it was yesterday.
You were so tiny and I was so thrilled to meet you and so excited to get to know you.

Looking back, I know you cried (all day for six months) and you didn't sleep through the night (for a year and a half) but from here, it doesn't seem like it was all that bad. 
What I remember the most are your smiles and the way you laughed with your whole being when I tickled you and your hugs.  From the time you were 10 months old, you gave great hugs; you held on tight and you never let go too soon.

I remember how you used to play peek-a-boo by covering the top of your head with your hands, instead of covering your eyes and how you insisted on doing everything "my-by-self!"

I've very much enjoyed watching you grow and witnessing your sweet, funny and sassy personality develop. 
You make me laugh every day.
You never cease to amaze me with your intelligence and your wit. 

You're growing up right before my eyes.  Gone is the tiny baby I brought home four very short years ago.  In her place I see a strong, caring, hilarious little lady.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the ride for the past four years and can't wait to see what the next four bring.

I love you more than you'll ever know (until you have a baby of your own...in 40 or so years).

Happy birthday, Aleena.

18 comments:

  1. Beautiful post Jamie! Happy Birthday Aleena!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is too beautiful! As is she. :) Happy birthday to Aleena!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She's so excited to be four!

      Delete
  3. Aww, happy birthday to your sweet little girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristen! Hug your babies, they grow up WAY too fast!

      Delete
  4. That's absolutely beautiful. She will enjoy reading it when she gets older. Happy birthday Aleena!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved that, what a great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Feel free to borrow the idea, I'm sure I didn't invent it first. :)

      Delete
  6. Beautiful post! Happy Birthday to your beautiful daughter! She's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.