Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Ragnar Relay TN: Book One

Wow.  I'm still trying to put this weekend into words. 

It was incredible, exhilarating, exhausting and the most fun I've had at a race.  Like, ever.

My very first Ragnar Relay was a smashing success and I couldn't have done it without the amazing team (drivers included) I had with me.

This recap is going to really, really long.  I write for me, I like to share what I write, but mostly, it's for me.  I want to remember everything.  I'll post the recap of this weekend in installments.  And I'll try to stay away from all of the private jokes we shared this weekend.  They won't be near as funny to you as they were to us.

Thursday, November 8, 2012
6:45am: Drivers Mary, Kurt and I loaded up and headed out to pick up the rental vans.  After I dropped the two of them off at the rental place, I went to pick up Amanda, Angie and Kate and we went to Richard's house, our meeting place.  When the vans arrived, we packed one van full of the boys and one van full of the girls and headed down to Chattanooga.  We stopped for lunch at Wendy's for lunch on the way.

It was an 8 hour drive, and I'm sure it felt like an 8 hour drive for Driver Mary, but we ladies in back of the van had a good old time.
Kate, Andrea and Anne
They look so rested and fresh!
Once we got into Tennessee, we were ooh-ing and ahh-ing over the scenery.
We don't see mountains in Ohio! (and that's the boy van in front of us)

Sunset on the way to Chattanooga
We arrived in Chattanooga around 6.  The girl van stopped at the airport to pick up my cousin, Melissa, who flew in from New Jersey (you'll need this information to understand some of the later pictures).

After a quick check in at the hotel, we all went out to dinner.
We were all starving by the time we got to Chattanooga, so we found an Olive Garden and ate there.  It was unfortunate that we weren't in town long enough to explore and eat some of the local food.

After dinner, we reorganized some of our food and coolers then went to bed. 

Notice I didn't say "went to sleep".  I had a heck of a time sleeping Thursday night.  Nerves, excitement, being in a strange place, the sheets didn't smell like home...Melissa made fun of me several times this weekend for my sensitive nose.  A table near us at Olive Garden got calamari for an appetizer and I was practically drooling.  Melissa couldn't smell it.  I have a freakishly sensitive nose.

Here is a funny from Thursday night:
We (Anne, Kate, Melissa and I) were lying in bed ready to go to sleep.

Melissa said to me: just kick me if I start to snore.
Me: Randy says I snore. He's full of shit.
Anne (from the other bed): Jeff is full of shit too!
Kate: Yea!  So is Dave!
Melissa: So we're all on the same page...
Anne: None of us snore!

Insert hysterical giggles.

We shut off the light at 10pm.  I laid there wide awake until midnight.  I slept off and on until Kate's alarm went off.

Friday, November 9, 2012
5:30am: Go time!

We got dressed, had breakfast, packed up and went outside to decorate the vans.
Hard at work.
I'm not tall.  Don't judge.

 

Yep.  We brought Hurricane Sandy to Ragnar with us.
Our start time was 10am and we had to get to check in and our safety meeting at 9am.  Our whole team went to the starting line so we could get pictures at the starting line.
We Thought They Said "RUM"
RagnarTN 2012
This is a good stopping point.  Next up: Leg 1.  It's a good one, y'all, I get to climb a mountain!

Special thanks
~to Angie, Greg, and Kate for taking some of the pictures used in this post and will be used in the next few posts. 
~to Mary and Kurt who took 2 days off work to drive our team around Tennessee for the weekend.
~to my fellow Rummers.  Without you, I would not have had this wonderful experience.
~to my husband, Randy, for holding down the fort, keeping our children alive and supporting me and this crazy idea.

Unrelated news: This is my 100th post!  Weeeee!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for organizing the whole thing for us! Can't wait until our next one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rock Jamie! I cant wait for the next one!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this sounds weird - but I was almost surprised to read that you had blokes on your team - I never read ragnar relay updates with guys mentioned in them so it almost sounded like a womans only race.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.