Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Ragnar Relay TN: Book Five

If you missed the first four posts about my Ragnar adventure, check them out: Book One, Book Two, Book Three, Book Four.


Well, I finished my legs of the Ragnar Relay.  I'll bet you thought that was the end of my story.  Nope.  I couldn't possibly finish the story without telling you about the finish!

But first, a little side story...


Months before our trip to Tennessee, I perused the Ragnar online store...ok, fine.  I perused the Ragnar online store many times before our trip to Tennessee.  I saw a shirt that said "one mile to go" and didn't understand it.

While I was running my first leg up the mountain I saw "the sign" and I suddenly understood the significance of the shirt.  I wanted to kiss the sign. These are the most beautiful words a Ragnarian can see when they near the top of a gigantic mountain, are running through sheer darkness or are deliriously running down the road of their third leg after very little sleep.

Love the sign.
 
Now, where was I in the story?  Oh yes, I finished my third leg, then helped Anne out with hers.  When the rest of my van finished their third legs, we took this picture.  Hooray, we're done!
Driver Kurt, Kate, Richard, Melissa, Anne, Me, Greg
Now we wait.  It was lunch time and we were starving.  Several people in our van were threatening to eat their own arm.  I was one of them.  Greg and Anne jumped on their iPhones and found Heaven 3 miles away.  Freaky good, freaky fast, freaky gone.

Did I mention we were starving?  Melissa and I were debating whether or not to order two sandwiches to start.  Don't worry, I only inhaled ate one.
 
After filling our bellies, Van 1 headed to the finish line to check out the festivities and wait for Van 2.  Here are a few fun pictures:

My BRF, Anne, and I laying down on a cement ledge.
Finish line!
Saturday, November 10, 2012
6:08pm - Ken rounded the corner and all 12 Rummers joined him to run across the finish line.
  video
The video is a little dark and you can't really tell who is who, but there we are crossing the finish line!  Thanks to Driver Mary for taking the video.

We Thought They Said RUM
We got two large pizzas at the finish.  Those disappeared in record time and we ordered 6 more extra large pizzas when we got back to the hotel.  We were a hungry bunch!  
Fun fact about Ragnar: It's ok to write on other teams' vans.  Not only is it ok, it's encouraged!  While we were at the starting line sending Melissa off, someone wrote on our van.  Initially, I was offended and I almost erased it until I realized that this was happening all over the place....and it's totally fun writing on vans!

Here are a few of the funny tags on our vans...
Van 1 got "boned" Friday night..at least I think it was Friday night....  Amanda tweeted me with this news.
Van 1 got spanked by the 12 Shades on Friday morning.

Van 1 was tagged by the Beards on Friday night.  Greg had fun with this one and wrote "shaved" in front of it.  Then it morphed into "no fondling shaved beards".  Apparently there is a no fondling law in Tennessee.  We all got a kick out of that.
We Rummers tagged our share of vans as well.  In fact, as I ran up my mountain, I saw a van parked on the side of the road.  The side of the van read: "Your van looked too clean.  Love, the Rummers"

Yep.  Those are my people.  :-)

To say that this was a fun weekend would be a serious understatement.  I had a blast and can't wait to do it again, in fact, plans are already in the works.  I'm an addict. 

Before we left, I had heard that Ragnar was a party in a van with a side of running.  That is absolutely correct.  I can't think of a better description.

To all of my Rummers, thank you for a fantastic weekend.  I couldn't have asked for a better Ragnar experience.

Congratulations, Y'all!

4 comments:

  1. A lot of third legs in that van only 3 guys tee-hee ;-) sounds like you guys had an awesome adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much fun! I cannot wait to do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo hoo! Well done, great RECAP I loved it all ! Seeing that 1 mile to go sign is the BEST feeling EVER! So, after being in Van 1, think you'll ever go into Van 2? and another question - how was the after party? The after parties for the NY Ragnars blew - I was surprised that there was nothing to it. Oh well, we made our own!!! So what's the next one, and do you need a runner?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.