Monday, November 26, 2012

My 2012 Resolution (11 months later)

I hope y'all had a great Thanksgiving!  We had a house full of people.  My parents and in-laws came from Michigan for the weekend and we had many friends over as well.  Our headcount was 22 including the kiddos.  We made 2 turkeys, one in the oven and one in the fryer...since we had the fryer going, we might as well throw in some onion rings and sweet potato fries, right?  Yep, I had a totally low-fat Thanksgiving. ;-)
Speaking of low-fat...At the beginning of this year, I posted a goal for 2012 (my version of a resolution) on Dailymile:

Ok people. This contraption has been in my basement for the past 7.5 years (it came with the house) and I've N.E.V.E.R. used it. Ever. My New Years Resolution: take advantage of this torture device; learn how and use it. Hold me to it, friends.
Ok people. This contraption has been in my basement for the past 7.5 years (it came with the house) and I've N.E.V.E.R. used it. Ever. My New Years Resolution: take advantage of this torture device; learn how and use it. Hold me to it, friends.



Soooo....I posted that in January.  It's now the end of November and I'm finally tackling this goal.  Clearly, no one held me to it.  Better late than never?

The torture device in the picture is an Image 6.5...I have no idea what that means.  I looked up the brand, there is a web address printed on the owner's manual, but it doesn't work, so I'm assuming the company is out of business?  I did find a website that carries spare parts in the event that I need to repair something, that's something.

I've been busy cleaning up the basement (aka: our dumping ground) so I could easily get to the machine, which wasn't as hard as I anticipated.  I spent about 5-10 minutes cleaning, moving boxes and finding new homes for totes every time I went down to change out a load of laundry.  It's amazing how much work can get done in 5 minutes!

Yesterday, I spent some time studying the manual learning how to use the machine and how to do each exercise.


Today was the day. 

I. Used. The. Machine.

I only used the right half of it this morning.  I did bench presses, leg extensions and lateral pull downs, three sets of ten.  I don't think I've ever bench pressed anything in my life (except maybe a baby).  I felt like a total badass....and now I feel like a sore badass.  My biceps and upper back feel it the most.  I love it!

Last night I tested out the left half of the machine.  There is a chest fly section and a row section (near the floor, you can't see it in the picture). I won't be able to do the chest flies.  I'm just not big enough.  I raised the seat, but that didn't help.  The problem is the width of my shoulders.  I'm just not wide enough and can feel my chest muscles straining to squeeze the torture device.  I'll have to settle for hand weights on the floor for flies.  The rows, however, I'll be all over those.

According to the manual, I should have straps to go with this contraption (as if it weren't torturous enough, right?).  I should have an ankle strap to use in place of the row bar for leg/hip exercises.  There should also be a strap to use in place of the pull down bar for abs.  I don't have either strap.  The replacement parts website I found has both straps, but they're not cheap.  That's a purchase that will have to wait until after Christmas.  This Santa is broke.

Looking forward to more weights on Wednesday.  I'm going to tackle those rows!

Do you have the traditional turkey for Thanksgiving?  I'm not a fan of turkey.  I have one tiny piece smothered in cranberry sauce.  I show all my love to the mashed potatoes....and the dessert.
What's your favorite weights workout?  I need fresh ideas so I don't get bored with the whole idea and take up sleeping in as my new hobby.

5 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try out the machine next week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually don't like to workout with weights/machine. It bores me to tears. :) I wish I liked it so that I would do it!

    You just do a couple of reps for me while you're at it! :)

    Shannon
    http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love turkey! We have 3 every year, use one carcass to make soup. Leftovers make excellent sandwiches either hot with gravy or cold with mayo and Texas Pete. We fry 2 one regular and one all spice rubbed and hot sauce injected.

    I can also flounder on mashed potatoes and my mom's dressing. My family goes a bit nuts with the Thanksgiving feast.

    Love your basement "monster." You don't even need a gym. I'm jealous of the rower. Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a montrosity! I would have to say I don't even know if I would try it! Did they leave it behind because it was a PIA to get out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I think that's exactly why it was left. That's a LOT of weight to be hauling out of the basement. I'm almost positive that we'll be leaving it here (someday in the very distant future) when we sell as well.
      I also think the machine was purchased by the people who lived here two owners ago...there was a single woman--not the athletic type--who lived here before us. ;-)

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.