Friday, October 5, 2012

Homemade Granola with Quinoa

I've recently joined Pinterest.  I've been avoiding it like the plague.  I spend so much time on the computer, I didn't want another time suck.  Anne has been telling me for a while that I should join if only for the recipes.  I finally broke down.

Oh.My.Gosh.  I had no idea what I was missing!  There are so many great recipes and ideas out there!  I should have joined months ago!

I know I've mentioned before that I'm a new-ish to cooking.  Randy is the chef in the family, but earlier this year, his work hours changed and he's not home in time to cook dinner anymore so that nasty task fell to me.  The housewife.  Who doesn't cook.  Perfect.

Lately, I've been having a hard time coming up with meal ideas and dinners around here have been pretty boring.  Pinterest has opened up a whole new world for me!  I'm having so much fun trying out new dinners--and they're really good!  I've also been trying out new hairstyles on the Little Ladies that I found on Pinterest.  Check me out!  I'm turning into a real housewife!  It only took five and a half years...but who's counting?

If you'd like, follow my boards on Pinterest.  Check out the Meal Ideas board.  I've tried out several of the recipes and they were a hit with the whole family.

Last week, I made granola that I found on Pinterest.  It's awesome.  I made a double batch and it didn't last long.  I found this pumpkin granola that I Thought sounded awesome, but Randy isn't a huge fan of pumpkin.  The pumpkin granola has toasted quinoa in it.  I like the idea of the extra protein so when I made the original granola recipe this week, I added quinoa.
DEE-lish!
Here's what you'll need:
4 cups oats
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1.5 teaspoons salt
2/3 cup chopped almonds
1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed and dried with a paper towel
1/2 cup honey
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla

Here's what you do:
Spread the quinoa on a cookie sheet and toast in a 325 degree oven for 10 minutes, stirring once.
Meanwhile, mix oats, cinnamon, salt and almonds in a large bowl.
Mix honey, butter, brown sugar and vanilla in a small bowl. (I started with frozen butter so I heated the butter to soften it and just mixed the rest of the wet ingredients in the small sauce pan.)
When the quinoa is done, add it to the dry ingredients then mix in the wet ingredients. (you'll have to use your hands.  Think of it as a sugar scrub.)
Spread the wet granola on two cookie sheets lined with parchment paper and bake at 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes turning every few minutes.

Cool and store in an airtight container for...well, I don't know how long.  Ours doesn't last more than a few days .
This has been my breakfast every morning:
honey crisp apple, blueberry yogurt and granola
YUM
Do you have a Pinterest account?  Have you checked out the recipes?  Tried any?  I've made the Spaghetti Squash Au Gratin twice now.  SO good!

5 comments:

  1. Same story here. I avoided Pinterest like the plague. I didn't want another time-sucker social media. But now, I'm so hooked. I have to limit my time on there, but I love looking for new recipes.

    Our cooking stories are similar too. Iron Chef Allan did most of the cooking but when his work schedule changed, the dinner duty fell onto me. Fast forward a few years later and I'm loving it! I get to cook things I like and test out new recipes all the time. I cook the dinners I love and I'm actually pretty good at it too. :-)

    I keep pinning Quinoa recipes and I've only tried one (the Martha Stewart muffins) and they came out TERRIBLE. Good God! No one even touch them and I had to throw the whole batch out. Plus, the Quinoa made my house smell awful. What was that about?!

    I like that this recipe toasts the Quinoa in the oven. That's interesting. I do love Quinona when it's prepared by others. Can you make me a batch? Your granola look fabulous! Thanks for linking up at Friday Food Fight! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite thing about pintrest is the crafty home decor and storage ideas! They're brilliant! Things that are so easy and I would've never thought of. There's tons of little projects for kids too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. According to Jamie Oliver, granola can be stored up to one month in an air tight container. I'm going to make some today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! LOVE Jamie Oliver! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds awesome! I am going to make some of this one! I can't cook well and haven't figured out what to do with pinterest. Maybe now that I have the kindle fire I'll start using it. It just seemed overwhelming!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.