Saturday, October 27, 2012

Heartbreaking Headlines

You may have read in the paper or seen on the news the story of the New York nanny who murdered two children she was caring for.

If you haven't, you can do so here.
But if you haven't, you just might be better off. 

I wish I'd never heard this news.  I can't unread what I read.  I can't unsee the visions running through my head.  I can't stop imagining what it's like to lose a child at the hand of another adult.  I can't stop imagining the horror, the grief, the rage.

I am so thankful that I'm able to stay at home with my little ladies.  Yes, I look forward to, and very much enjoy, my me-time, it's hard work raising responsible, independent, headstrong little ladies, but when I leave my children, it is in the hands of their father.

We have never hired a baby sitter.  Partly because we don't have the extra funds and partly because I remember baby sitting as a teenager.  Had there been an emergency, I wouldn't have had the faintest idea how to handle it.  Luckily there were never any emergencies.

After this gruesome event, I will probably never hire a baby sitter.  I have trust issues where the care of my children is concerned to begin with.  No one is watchful, careful, doting....no one is "enough".  I am no better parent than any other parent out there, but when it comes to my babies, if anyone is going to screw them up, it's going to be me. (insert sarcasm font)

Because we don't hire baby sitters, Randy and I rarely go out together without kids.  I go out with my friends, he goes out with his friends, but we don't get date nights all that often.  This isn't forever, though.  Someday, much sooner than I'd like, the little ladies won't be so little and Randy and I can date all we want.  Our babies are worth waiting for.
July 2012, our most recent date night
My heart physically aches for Marina Krim.  When I think about what she's going through, I feel nauseous.

I got up this morning before everyone else and I went for a cold, dark, rainy run.  It was soothing and peaceful.  When I returned, Aleena ran to the top of the stairs and excitedly yelled, "Hi, Mommy!"

That's what it's all about.

Hug your kids and stay safe, friends.

1 comment:

  1. I can't say I blame you! The things people do to each other just amazes (and horrifies) me! Your little ladies are worth waiting for - that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.