Friday, October 26, 2012

Apple Cinnamon Muffins

I was in the mood for muffins this week and I found this recipe on allrecipes.com. It looked pretty good and had a good rating with lots of comments, I read a few and most included these tips: add more cinnamon, don't fill the muffin cups all the way to the top (duh).  I noticed that there was another key ingredient missing from the recipe: vanilla extract.  In this house, we love our vanilla.
yum
So I got to work, following the recipe, more or less...


I tried to make a crumbly topping with melted better, sugar and flour, but I used too much butter so the topping was more of a sauce than a crumble. 
It all worked out though, because of the saucy topping, the tops of the muffins were crispy and delicious.

What?  Doesn't everyone use multi-colored plastic plates?
Recipe:
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup white and 1/4 cup brown)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil (I used canola)
1/3 cup milk
1 egg
2 apples peeled, cored and chopped

Topping:
2 tablespoons melted butter
mixture of white and brown sugar (since my topping didn't come out "right" I have no idea how much sugar you'll need)
1 tablespoon flour

Directions:
Stir together the first 6 ingredients.  Add the oil, milk and egg, beat until batter is moist.  Fold in the apples.
Fill muffin cups 2/3 full and sprinkle topping.
Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
Makes 12 muffins.

Oh. My. Gosh.  These muffins are delicious.  Turns out, I'm not too bad at this whole cooking thing....

What have YOU been cooking up lately?
Are you a muffin lover?  What's your favorite? Generally, I'm a blueberry kind of girl, but if it's called a muffin, chances are, I'll like it. :-)