Thursday, September 6, 2012

Random Thoughts from a Runner on a Bike

It's been a while since I've had a solo bike ride long enough for a Random Thoughts post...

Lots of stars, but not a lot of light.  Where's the moon?
Thank goodness it's cooler out this morning. I hate heat.
I spy with my little eyes THREE houses with open garage doors! I hope they didn't have any critters wander in and set up camp last night.  Many, many years ago, when I still lived with my parents, they were remodeling their kitchen, my dad ripped out three sub floors and piled it all up in the garage.  It was after dark when he finished for the day and closed the garage door.  The next morning when he left through the garage to go to work, he was greeted by a very angry, hissing opossum who thought she made a home in the pile of plywood.  Yikes.
Sprinklers! Where were the damn sprinklers yesterday when I needed them?!
Why is it that every time I get on the bike, I start singing Katy Perry in my head? I need to get out more.
Twenty eight cats on one street! Ok, maybe that was a small exaggeration, doesn't anyone keep their cats inside anymore? No, they send them outside with their glowing eyes to scare the hell out of runners on bikes.
That's what I am, by the way: a runner on a bike. I'm not a cyclist. Maybe I will be someday when I have my own bike. And pedals that clip to shoes.  And maybe one of those cool zip-up shirts with pockets. For now, I'm a runner on a bike.
Have I mentioned how much I dislike the paper delivery guys?  They drive like maniacs.
Mile 9, headed home...it looks like there's something moving in the road up ahead.  OMG!  It's a PERSON!  A real live human being!  Before 6am!
"Good morning!  Passing on your left!"
He was running on the wrong side of the road.  And he needs lights.  And reflectors.  Or at least a white shirt.
Turning onto my street, what's that?  ANOTHER human!  Good morning, Dog Walker!
This is going to be a great day.  :-)

5:09am
10.18 mi
42:18
14.4mph