Thursday, August 23, 2012

Thankful Thursday: Beautiful Women

 

I considered deleting last week's Thankful Thursday.  What am I doing?!  I can't post that!  It's too personal, maybe I don't want to put myself out there.  People are going to laugh at me, at my stupid picture and no one is going to take this seriously.

A friend talked me into it.  I hyperventilated a little as I clicked "post".  I banged my head on the computer desk when I saw that people were reading it.  What have I done?

You know what?  No one laughed.  No one made fun of me.  Quite the opposite: women started sharing their stories.  They told how they could relate to what I wrote.  Some women lost 100+ pounds, some carried and gave birth to twins, all are dealing with the aftermath of these amazing feats. 

Randy said to me, after I told him how shocked I was at the response, "Really? This surprises you?"  Yes.  After spending the summer at a water park, where lots of women bare lots of skin--skin that I would be too self conscious to bare-- yes.  I'm surprised.  I had no idea so many women felt the same way.

I realize that most men don't feel this way, but women have evil thoughts that our husbands won't find us attractive anymore.  This new body isn't the one they married. 

We really need to get out of our own heads.

A few very brave women sent me photos of their stomachs.  As promised, I'm only identifying them by their first names.  No tagging to blogs, Twitter or Facebook. 
  

Kate

Amanda

Amanda

Julie ~ mom of five (in 5 years!)
Julie ~ 2 weeks after tummy tuck

Let's give these ladies a round of applause!

I was so excited to get Julie's pictures and of course, I had a million questions for her.  She said that after the first week post-surgery, the pain wasn't too bad, she also said that if you have stretchmarks above your belly button, you'd still have stretch marks post-tummy tuck, but they'd be below your belly button.  Interesting.

Julie said she's happy to answer any questions that any readers have.  If you want to discuss this in depth with Julie, contact me via Twitter, email (jamiem718@gmail.com) or leave a comment with your email address and I'll connect you to her.

I'm still thinking that a tummy tuck is not for me, but I'm not closing the door to that option yet (but to be perfectly honest, I'd rather spend the money on a trip to Disney World).  For now, I'll just keep up with my abs exercises and running and see what happens.

My friend, Andrea, has already publicly announced that she's going to rocking a bikini next summer.  I'm not quite ready to make that declaration...we'll see how much progress I make in the next nine months.

Great big thank you to Kate, Amanda, Amanda and Julie for being so brave.  You ladies are awesome! :-)

Feeling brave?  You can still send me your pictures and I'll do another post next week.  I can mark your picture with your first name, or with no name.  Tweet me a direct message, or email me jamiem718@gmail.com.
 

4 comments:

  1. You are all brave and deserve a huge round of applause for being proud of your body and all that it has done and can do!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much braver than me. All of you are. I thought about it and decided not to send in a pic. There is too much shame attached to my feelings about my body. Look what I've allowed to happen. I'm really glad you wrote and posted pics about this topic. Many women feel so alone in their bad feelings about their bodies. Maybe someday I'll be brave enough to share but not today. It's nice not to feel so alone though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the nice comment. We've all been in the place you described. "Look what I've allowed to happen." It's painful to look in the mirror, and I'm not referring to the stretch marks, because, other than not reproducing, there's nothing we can do about that.
      I was a size 0 before kids. Yes, a zero. After having my first, I had to buy clothes in the double digits.
      "Don't whine about what you look like if you're not going to do anything about it." My husband said those words to me after my second was born. Ouch. His words stung, but he was absolutely right and it was exactly what I needed to hear. Ultimately, those words lit a fire under my behind. I now wear a size 4, and I'm good with that. Now I can say "Look what I've done!"
      You can too. Best of luck to you in your journey.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.