Thursday, August 2, 2012

Bummer sprinkled with Awesome

So...the Strong Like Susan July Abs Challenge started off with a bang, but petered out near the end.  Because of my hip, I had to modify or completely omit an exercise every day.  It got discouraging and I think I only did one day during the last week of July.  I originally said I wanted to do the challenge again in August, but I've decided that it's best to put that off until September.  Since I felt my hip complain so much during the exercises in this challenge, I think it's best if I stop trying.  I'll let my hip heal, then reintroduce these exercises again next month.  I think if I take a break during August, I'll have to modify less --if at all-- in September.
Thumbnail
The Strong Like Susan Challenge is awesome, and I will be back, I just need some time to make sure my whole body is healthy first.  I do, however, have a list of the exercises that did not bother my hip, and I'll include those exercises on my "core and PT" days in August.  In the first 3 weeks of July, I saw more definition in my abs; this workout is very effective.  I love it!

Hip Update:

Now for a little good news: I ran FOUR MILES last Saturday with no pain during or after!  I had a serious happy dance going on (which also did not hurt my hip).  So far this week, I've run 3+ miles on both Monday and Wednesday with no trouble.  I'm taking it slow and still foam rolling and icing after every workout, but I'm cautiously optimistic that I'M BACK!

Aaaaaannnnnnd here's more bad news: with only 12 weeks until the Columbus Marathon, There isn't enough time for me to safely increase my mileage from 4 to 26.2.  "Safely" being the key word.  three weeks after Columbus, I'm running a Ragnar Relay, a 200 mile relay race through the hills (read: mountains) of Tennessee.  I have been planning and looking forward to Ragnar for almost a year now.  I ca not afford to be injured and miss it.  All that being said, I changed my Columbus Marathon entry to a half marathon this morning.  I may or may not have shed a tear or two when I clicked the submit button.  I know this is the right decision for me and my still healing hip, but that doesn't lessen the disappointment or feeling of failure.
totally blows...
Being the bright and shiny person that I am, I'm trying not to dwell on what I'm missing and focus on a new goal: PR the half. (Assuming the hip doesn't relapse, of course.)  If all goes well with increased mileage this week and next week, I'll start one day a week of speed work and a couple of weeks after that I'll start hill repeats, (Did I mention I'll be running through the mountains in Tennessee?) and eventually this month, I'll need to start running 2-a-days (again, for Ragnar training).

Lots of fun to still be had this summer!

How did your July Abs Challenge go?  Will you join me for another abs challenge in September?
Have you ever had to downgrade a race? How did you deal with the disappointment?

3 comments:

  1. I know it's the right (smart) decision for you, but I'm still sad you won't be training for a full with me :( yep, being selfishly sad. At least we'll still get to do many miles together....just not 20+ at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to make the same change to my Columbus registration earlier this week. I'm looking forward to both of us building a strong base this year to come back kicking ass next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear you had to change to the half but you made the right decision. Better to have a good race and live for Ragner later. In the meantime, I'm hobbling around the house on crutches after last nights 5k. Hope I will bounce back for the full or I'll be joining you for the half too.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.