Friday, June 1, 2012

Mmmm....Pizza....

Pizza...it just may be the most delicious and versatile food out there.  You really can't go wrong with pizza: bread, sauce, cheese and pepperoni.  Mmmm...I think I just drooled a little.

Sometimes, though, I like to try different kinds of pizza...pizza outside the traditional box.

I've had really awesome pizza at two different restaurants in the past few months.  The two pizzas had similar characteristics.  I thought I'd try to recreate them at home.  I know, I'm pretty new to cooking, but I think it's about time for me to break away from allrecipes and see what I'm made of.

I started off with a ready made pizza crust.  Really, why make my job harder?  We've made Boboli pizzas before, I know it tastes pretty good, that's one less thing for me to screw up, right?



Next I chopped up some sweet onion, lots of garlic and some baby bella mushrooms.


I sauteed them in butter (yes I'm a health nut) until they looked like this:

I brushed the entire pizza crust with olive oil and sprinkled some granulated garlic on it.  I put on a light layer on mozzarella cheese, sprinkled the mushroom mixture, more mozzarella, chunks of goat cheese and a chopped tomato.

Boboli's directions so bake at 450 degrees for 8-9 minutes, but the goat cheese needed a few more minutes to melt.  For the last 3 or 4 minutes in the oven, I drizzled balsamic vinegar on top.  It came out smelling amazing and looking like this:

Did you just drool?

It tasted pretty darn good for a first attempt, if I do say so myself.
When (not if) I make this again, I'll play around with some herbs.  Maybe throw on some basil, oregano and thyme from the garden.

What have you cooked up lately?
Ever try to copy a restaurant meal?  Were you successful?  This didn't taste exactly like the restaurant, but delicious, nonetheless.


Don't forget!  The AMR June Challenge starts today!  I got wild and started the challenge with a rest day.  HA!


Photobucket