Monday, June 11, 2012

June Challenge Days 6-11

Things are starting to look a little better for this irritating injury I've been sporting, but I'm improving much slower than I'd like.
Day 6: My big day.  It was National Running Day.  I had to feel good enough to run.  What a perfect day for it!  No dice.  While it didn't exactly "hurt", it didn't feel good either.  I ended up walking 1.81 miles, but my walking pace has improved, so that's something.

Day 7: My neighbor started the Couch to 5K program.  Today was her Day 1, so I ran/walked with her for 2.23 miles.  This is my farthest and fastest run since Cleveland.  I didn't have pain to run, but I felt my hip complain a little transitioning from running to walking.  Later in the day, I had no pain,  WOOHOO!

Day 8: rest

Day 9: 3 miles mostly walked with Kate.  This is the farthest I've walked since Cleveland.  We tried to run a couple of times.  It felt uncomfortable and I didn't have an even gait.  The impact did not hurt.  Swinging my leg forward to take another step hurt.  Sigh.

Day 10:  My goal was to ride the bike for 30 minutes.  I've never rode that long before.  I rode 7.37 miles in 32 minutes.  That's the longest, farthest and fastest bike ride to date. :)

Day 11: I got up early to ride the bike for a bit.  I had plans to meet my neighbor again to walk at 5:30am.  I got a little bit of a late start due to the ease of the snooze button.  I ended up with 3.39 miles on the bike then walked with my neighbor for 1.79 miles.  Not too shabby for a Monday morning, huh?

Hip Update:
While it's getting better, it's still hanging around over a month after it started and that is concerning me.  Walking, riding the bike and going down the stairs do not hurt.  I feel pain (although not terrible pain) running, --probably because of the faster swinging forward motion than walking-- sometimes walking up the stairs and carrying stuff: baskets of laundry, heavy grocery bags, a child, etc.

Unfortunately, I don't have the option to sit on my couch and not move for a week to let it heal.  I have a house to keep and small children to care for.  And, really, I don't even know that sitting for a week would help!  I'm doing what I can to avoid the things that aggravate it: I ask Randy to carry the laundry and the kids can walk on their own two feet.

I'm in the process of trying to see a physical therapist, but I need an order from my doctor to do so and my doctor is on vacation this week!  Doctors shouldn't be allowed to take vacation. (Kidding.  Mostly.)  I'm waiting to see if another doc in the practice will sign the order so I can get in as soon as possible.  Fingers crossed....


Another Mother Runner Challenge June 2012



<><><> </>
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday
1
2
3




Rest
Walk 1.8mi
Bike 3.38
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
Bike 4.45mi
Abs & Arms
Rest
2.81mi run/walk
2.23 run/walk
Pub run 2.54
Bike 2.44 mi
Rest
3 mi run/walk
Bike 7.37 mi
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
 Bike 3.39
Walk 1.79






18
19
20
21
22
23
24







25
26
27
28
29
30








Name:
City, state:
How badass you feel on June 1st:
How badass you feel on June 30th:



Jamie
Ohio
Injured, but pretty freaking badass




RULES

(They’re really Simple)

You must move at least 5 days/week

Run, walk, cycle, downward dog, swim, squat, push-ups if your bottom half is injured. Whatever. Just move with purpose and focus and get your blood flowing.

You must have at least 1 rest day/week.

Two days is fine too. Sorry if that doesn’t work for you. We insist—and your body will be happier and less injury-prone because of it.

Claim your prize.

Your “finish line photo” is a picture (screen shot or regular shot) of your planned/finished workouts on this calendar. Send the pic to runmother@gmail.com to claim your AMR bumper sticker.