Thursday, May 3, 2012

Taper Madness: it's REAL

I think I'm going crazy.

Some of my close friends and family would argue that I'm already long gone.  But really, my brain feels so....jumpy.  I'm irritable, I have no appetite and I feel the need to keep myself occupied at all times.  There is only one explanation for this:

Taper Madness

I used to be a sceptic, but I promise you, folks, it's real.

When I trained for USAF last year, I had no problems with taper.  But...at the end of my training for USAF, I was injured, in pain all the time and so freaking exhausted.  I was ready for a break from running.

This time, I feel great!  (I keep saying that, don't I?)  I'm not injured (knocking on wood right now) and all I can think about is running.  That's it.  There are no other thoughts in my head.  I must run.  Let's go run.  Hey, you know what sounds good right now?  A run! 

I told you, I'm going crazy.

I've also started inventing pain.  Yup, my Achilles is aching, as is my knee.  Not the knee that occasionally gives me trouble--the other one.  This is only the first week of taper!  Who knows what other ailments I'll come up with in the next 2 weeks.

This training plan is kind of cruel.  I had 44 miles last week and I've run a whopping THREE miles this week.  It's THURSDAY and I've got 3 miles logged.  (withdrawal)  I do get to run tonight, praise the Lord.  I took my little ladies to swimming class this morning and as I sat on the bleachers trying to watch what they were doing with their class, I mentally planned the outfit that I'm going to wear tonight.  When I run.  I have a problem.

My name is Jamie and I'm an addict.


In other (running-related) news: There is a sneak peek of the finisher's medals for the Cleveland Marathon on their Facebook page.
Pretty, aren't they?


Do you believe in all the taper madness mumbo jumbo?
Any advice for keeping myself busy for the next 2 weeks?  I have a feeling my house is going to be really, really clean.

4 comments:

  1. I have an idea... go for a run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you're done cleaning your house, come on over...I think I have a couple things that might need dusted. Just a couple, though..... :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! It might take me 2 weeks to clean mine!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.