Friday, May 4, 2012

Dinner: The "Other" Wifely Duty

As you may have read, I'm learning to cook.  It's a slow process, but I'm slowly learning to embrace this house-wifely duty.  I don't think cooking completely sucks anymore, but I wouldn't go as far to say that I'm enjoying it yet.  The potential is there. Every time I make something that actually turns out good, I think I'm one step closer to liking this new job of mine.
Earlier this week I came across a recipe for Tantalizingly Tangy Meatloaf at allrecipes.com.  I had all ingredients on-hand with the exception of pineapple preserves.  There was no way I was going to the store with the kids for one ingredient (besides that, I've never seen pineapple preserves and who knows if the grocery store would even have it).  I did, however have canned pineapple...the wheels started turning.  I wonder what would happen if I were to blend the pineapple a little and use it instead of preserves.  It was worth a try.  If it sucked....well, I'd know never to do that again, right?

Loaf:
1lb ground beef
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1 egg
garlic powder to taste (I used 1.5 teaspoons--we love us some garlic)
1 dash Worcestershire sauce


Another thing you should know: raw meat totally grosses me out.  I do my best to avoid touching it.  Unfortunately, this needed my hands.
Gag

Once all ingredients are combined, the recipe says to bake it in a 9x5 inch loaf pan at 350 degrees for 30 to 50 minutes.

Sauce:
1/3 cup ketchup
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup pineapple preserves (I used puree and hoped for the best)

Add the sauce on top of the loaf 20 minutes before removing it from the oven.
It smelled pretty good.
I served it with sauteed broccoli, carrots and mushrooms, baked zucchini boats and garlic bread.
Randy had seconds, Ellie "said" she didn't like it, but managed to eat all that was on her plate and Aleena shoveled it in.  I'd say this recipe is a keeper.  I'm not sure how the preserves would have changed the taste...maybe made the sauce sweeter?  It was good just the way it was, so I won't do anything different next time.

Have you tried any more recipes lately?


Photobucket

 



7 comments:

  1. Looks good and sounds simple enough! I love meatloaf but I can't get my family to eat it. Maybe a sweeter loaf would win them over? I need to keep trying.

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jamie! Followed your DM post over to your blog and just have to say, that sounds yummy! Another fun thing to do with meatloaf is to bake it in a muffin tin--then you can freeze it and have some on hand for nights when you absolutely don't want to cook. :) Anyway, glad I stumbled on your blog--makes me want to get back to writing in mine again! -Nicky (from Turtle Thursdays)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant, Nicky! What a great tip! :)

      Delete
  3. I cooked quinoa for the first time the other day. I made spicy black beans and quinoa to go with a tbone. Then the next day I heated some oil in a pan, added spinach and mushrooms until the spinach wilted, added in some of the left over quinoa and beans until hot, placed it on a plate and topped with 2 fried eggs and shredded cheese. Now that was an awesome breakfast. I also made bannana/almond pancakes one morning for the boys. It was a huge hit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made quinoa stuffed shrooms: http://riserunmomrepeat.blogspot.com/2012/03/friday-food-fight.html
      The next day, Randy put the leftovers in an omelet. It was delish!

      Delete
  4. Hi Jamie! How do you make those zucchini boats and do you put anything special in your sauteed broccoli? Thanks! Carrie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here you go, Carrie!
      Zucchini boats: par-boil zucchini for 4 min. Cut in half lengthwise, brush with olive oil, sprinkle salt, pepper, oregano, bread crumbs (I always use italian bread crumbs) and parmesan cheese. Bake (spray baking dish) for 10 min at 350. Super easy and yummy!

      For the broccoli, I saute with onion and garlic, at the very least, onion and garlic powder. After sauteing for a bit, I add a little chicken stock and sometimes soy sauce, cover the pan and steam it until the broccoli is cooked just the way I like it--not crunchy but not limp either.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.