Friday, April 6, 2012

Honey Roasted Almonds

A couple of weeks ago, I bought some honey roasted almonds at Whole Foods to put in my lunch salads.  They were really good but cost a fortune.  I was sure I could make them myself for a much better price so I did some searching for recipes and found this one at food.com.

Ingredients:

2 cups almonds, with whole skin on
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons vegetable oil



1. Place almonds in a single layer in a baking pan and put them in a cool oven.  Set oven to 350 degrees and roast for 12-15 minutes until color is tan or light brown. (this step smells amazing)

2. Mix sugar and salt in a large bowl; set aside.

3. Stir together honey, water and oil in a medium sauce pan, bring it to a boil then stir in the roasted almonds.  Cook and stir until all liquid is absorbed (about 5 min)

4. Transfer almonds into the bowl with sugar and salt, toss until evenly coated.

5. Cool in a single layer on parchment paper.
6. Store in an air-tight container for up to 2 weeks.

Psh...2 weeks...these suckers didn't last 5 days!  Randy and Ellie loved them and ate them as snacks.  (Aleena doesn't care for the texture of nuts.)
romaine, apple, dried cherries, honey roasted almonds and goat cheese





Me, I like to put fruit and nuts in my salads for lunch.






What are you cooking up this week?

1 comment:

  1. That is brilliant! I love almonds and this sounds perfect!

    Sorry it took me so long to stop by. Thanks so much for linking up for Friday food Fight.

    Here's this week's link:

    http://deniseisrundmt.com/2012/04/13/potato-balls/

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.