Monday, April 23, 2012

Cleveland Marathon Training: Week 15

Week 15 didn't go exactly as I had planned, but sometimes life happens and plans need to be altered. Last week I found out that my grandmother, we call her Meme (pronounced MEM-ay) is loaded with cancer.  Her prognosis is a few weeks or less.  Meme lives in Massachusetts so I can't just drive on over to her house any time I want.  Airfare isn't cheap (uh, and remember my dog just had surgery?) and I can only afford to fly out there once; I'd rather go spend time with her while she's alive than wait for the funeral.  My parents and I booked flights to go visit Tuesday through Sunday.

Since this week was a recovery week, I wouldn't have to worry about high mileage runs and I could get away with packing just one running outfit since I'd have time to wash it between runs.  My mother-in-law was already planning to come visit Wednesday through Friday and she said she could come down a day early and watch the girls while Randy was at work.  Everything worked out and I was able to hang out with Meme for 5 days.

When we visit Massachusetts, we stay with my mom's parents.  I call them Memere and Pepere (pronounced: mem-AIR and pep-AIR).  They live in a valley.  What surrounds a valley?  Hills.  We are lacking hills here in the middle of Ohio and to say that the hills in MA kicked my butt would be an understatement.  I wasn't sure how I would get 14 miles done on those hills so I devised a plan that seemed to be the lesser of two evils: I would run from Memere's house to the high school and run the track until I couldn't stand it anymore.  Then I'd have at least a few flat miles.

I left Memere's house at 7am and headed toward the high school which is about 3 miles away, but I took a detour to add a little more distance.  It's all uphill to the high school.  On my way, I passed some important landmarks:
St. Joseph's Church, where my parents were married.

Leicester Middle School--formerly Leicester High School, where my parents met. (awwww...)

After I passed the middle school, I had one more hill to climb before I reached the new high school.  My dad and aunt were waiting for me at the track when I got there.  They were walking and I started running.  Last August I went to MA for a cousin's wedding and I ran on the track.  It was excruciating.  Circles of insanity!  I barely made it to 3 miles before wanting to throw myself off a cliff.  This year, I'm mentally (and physically) stronger.  I ran around the track 18 times.  I played a game while I ran: I started on the outermost lane, when I got back to my starting point, I moved to the next lane.  There are 6 lanes so I "only" ran 3 cycles.  Much better than counting every lap.  By the time I was finished my circles of insanity, I had just over 8 miles.  Whew!  More than halfway done!

I left the track for some residential streets.  I was running on an incline but nothing major until I turned a corner and stopped dead in my tracks.  There before me was a mother of a hill.  My first impulse was to turn around and go back the way I came, but I reached way down, pulled out my inner badass and headed for the hill.


This was taken about halfway up.
I made it to the top, but couldn't run the whole thing--my badass attitude only gets me so far.  At the top of the hill the street runs into a country road that is not safe for running, so I turned around and ran back down toward the valley.

This run was tough but I was pleasantly surprised at how fun it was!  I didn't realize how much I needed a few hours of fun.  The week hanging out with Meme was great.  We had some nice chats, made each other laugh--she's still got some spunk!  But all week, it was hanging over my head that I would have to say goodbye to her on Sunday.  This will be the last time I see her.  I really needed to let go of that anxiety for a few minutes and focus on something else.  Fourteen miles and some big-ass hills did the trick.

I love running.

How was your training this week?


Week 15:
Monday- 3.4mi
Tuesday- cross train: abs/arms
Wednesday- 5
Thursday- rest
Friday- walk 3mi
Saturday- 14mi
Sunday- rest

Total miles for week 15: 25.4 miles

April Burpee Challenge:
With all the travel hustle and bustle, I fell off the wagon at the end of this week, but never fear, I got right back on when I got home. :)

Monday- 16 burpees
Tuesday- 17 burpees
Wednesday- 18 burpees
Thursday- 0
Friday- 0
Saturday- 0
Sunday- 0

Total burpees this week: 51
Total Burpees in April: 157

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your grandma :-( good job on the big run and all the hills!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.