Thursday, March 29, 2012

Thankful Thursday

Today, I am thankful for this:
White Lilacs in my Backyard

It might be a strange thing to be thankful for, but it has been four years since this white lilac bush has flowered.  It used to be a huge, healthy fragrant bush.  It was my favorite plant in the yard until four years ago, it suffered a major trauma and I thought we lost it for good.

September 14, 2008, we had a terrible wind storm.  The wind was our share of Hurricane Ike that was tormenting the south.  We had gusts up to 65 or 70mph, a few people in the area died being hit by falling trees.  We had a flowering pear tree in the back yard--a big one.  It was probably 25 years old and 35 feet tall.  Apparently, flowering pear trees are brittle.  It was no match for the wind. The white lilac bush was next to the tree, when the tree fell, it leveled the lilac bush.
September 14, 2008

September 14, 2008
All that was left of my lilacs was the root.  Randy almost took them out, but we figured we'd give it a year, see if it came back.  It grew in the next year.  It had leaves, but no flowers.  We gave it another year, and another.  Each year, it grew taller and fuller but no flowers.

A few days ago, Randy and I were out in the back yard planning where we were putting the lettuce and the green beans this year when Randy pointed to the lilac bush.  We had buds!  WOOHOO!

Of course I'm thankful for my husband and little ladies, I'm thankful for our pooches (and I'm REALLY thankful the flowering pear didn't land on our roof when it fell). But today, standing in the yard smelling that sweet lilac scent, I'm thankful that we were patient and gave my favorite plant the time it needed to heal and rebuild.

What are YOU thankful for today?

2 comments:

  1. Love this!!!!I'm thankful for my hubby and little buggers too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! I'm glad the bush healed!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.