Friday, March 30, 2012

Quinoa Stuffed Mushrooms

My husband is an excellent cook.  He used to do pretty much all of the cooking until his job hours changed.  Now he works every day until 5ish.  If we want to eat between 5:30 and 6 (and we do since our little ladies go to bed at 7), the dinner job falls to me.  Yikes.

Most recipes I get from allrecipes.com because I can type in the ingredients that I have and it spits out recipes with those items.  We have found many recipes that were keepers and some that were not.

I recently bought the Make it Fresh Make it Healthy cookbook from Pampered Chef for a little variety.


Last week, I made these Quinoa Stuffed Mushrooms:
Oh and they were *that* good!

This recipe sounded good immediately.  I've had quinoa before, but I've never prepared it.  We bought uncooked quinoa from the bulk department of our local Whole Foods Market and luckily, the recipe gave directions to cook the quinoa since ours didn't come in a box with instructions.

The recipe is as follows:
‎4 large portobellos with stems (I used six 3" shrooms and still had extra filling)
1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
1 cup vegetable broth
2tbs balsamic vinegar divided
1 small zucchini
3/4 cup canned quartered artichoke hearts
4 green onions with tops
2 plumb tomatoes (I used one roma)
2 oz grated Asiago cheese (I used Parmesan)
2tbs fresh chopped basil (I used 1tbs dry basil)
1 garlic clove, pressed (I used 2, love me some garlic!)
1/4tsp ground black pepper

Cook quinoa with 1/2 cup chopped mushroom stems: rinse quinoa under cold water for 30 sec, bring broth to a boil, stir in quinoa and mushroom stems, cover, lower heat, simmer for 15 min or until water is absorbed.

Meanwhile, chop zucchini, thinly slice artichokes and green onions and seed and dice tomato. Mix quinoa with zucchini, artichokes, onion, tomato, cheese, basil, pressed garlic, black pepper and 1tsp vinegar. Thoroughly combine.

Brush tops and bottoms of mushrooms with vinegar, top with filling (I grated a little more parm cheese on top) and bake at 375 for 20-25 min or until mushrooms are tender.

I poured the extra filling in a small glass baking dish, sprinkled a little more Parmesan cheese on top and baked it as well.  We ate it as a side....and then in an omelet the next morning.  SO good!


Have you ever made quinoa?  Any good recipes you'd like to share?

1 comment:

  1. I love mushrooms, and I have been seeing this kit for a long time. I'm curious how it works.


    cubensis spores

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.